Author Topic: Body chrome removal  (Read 2441 times)

georgem

• Gold
  • Australia, Queensland, Birkdale
Body chrome removal
« on: June 12, 2011, 10:06:42 »
Hi guys,

Can anyone give me some tips on how to remove the chrome strips from the top of the doors and the horizontal body mouldings please. Also, are the plastic clips on the horizontal strips reuseable  or is it better to assume they will be broken and order more.

Thanks and cheers

George
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl
1973 VW Kombi Single Cab Ute
2022 Volvo XC 40 Pure (100% electric)

Jim C

Re: Body chrome removal
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 20:59:58 »
George,

The chrome trim on the top of the doors is held on by the clips that hold the window felt.  They should pry up.  Be careful not to scratch door or bend trim!  I would work slowly from front to back prying a little at a time with a plastic screwdriver type tool (needs to be stiff).

The side moulding with the rubber insert is screwed in place, just remove the rubber to expose the screws. 

The aluminum moulding can be pried off using a thin putty knife slid behind the trim and near the plastic clips (again be careful not to scratch the paint).  Just slide behind the trim from the top and pull.  If you are painting the car, remove the plastic clips and replace (they are inexpensive).  They cannot be pulled out without breaking as they are meant to pop into the hole in the body, but not out.

Jim

georgem

• Gold
  • Australia, Queensland, Birkdale
Re: Body chrome removal
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 13:00:55 »
Jim,

Thanks for the tips. In the end I used a very wide wood chisell to pry out the chrome near the glass - it worked well and as I am repainting the doors, scratching the paint wasn`t an issue.  The bottom chrome I was able to lever off using my fingers and as you say the middle chrome is screwed on - or should have been had not the PO used small bolts with nuts on the inside of the door skin - luck I was taking the door trim off...

I was able to pop the plastic holders off but will take your advice and replace them rather try and reuse.

Thanks again

Cheers
George McDonald
Brisbane
230 Sl
1973 VW Kombi Single Cab Ute
2022 Volvo XC 40 Pure (100% electric)