Author Topic: Hard Top Chrome Removal  (Read 3154 times)

Atazman

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, Ca, Pleasanton
Hard Top Chrome Removal
« on: May 11, 2011, 17:22:48 »
Hi experts.....

Getting ready to strip off the paint on my hard top.  Can someone please provide details of how to safely remove the chrome?  Pictures of how to pry, or pictures of how the clips are held in place would really be welcomed.

My intent is to take the paint down to bare metal.  I have some "caulking" material next to the chrome that appears to have been painted over.  I assume that I will have to cut through that caulking material, in addition to removing clips or whatever holds the trim im place.

Details are much appreciated.
Don
67 250 Sl
(#3168) from Italy
5-speed/Posi/AC/Kinder

Atazman

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, Ca, Pleasanton
Re: Hard Top Chrome Removal
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 17:37:01 »
Sorry, guys.  I just found the "hardtop" section in the technical manual.  I have not read it yet, but maybe it has all the answers I need.

Comments/suggestions are still appreciated though.
Don
67 250 Sl
(#3168) from Italy
5-speed/Posi/AC/Kinder

IXLR8

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 17:52:37 »
Hi--

Most of the chrome trim is held on by small screws.

Soak them in penetrating oil before you start as they are likely corroded in place.

The trim around the top and sides of the rear window is on clips that slide into slots on the inside of the recess where the glass lays in.  There are probably three on each side and three across the top. Pull the trim straight up to remove it--slowly and evenly to prevent bending it.

The caulking filler is literally like cement that seems to have been poured in soft and then cured below the trim. The only way to really remove this stuff is with a hammer and chisel. At least, that's what I did.

The quarter windows are a challenge to remove and re-install. Check some threads here for details.

Good luck!

Joe

Atazman

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • USA, Ca, Pleasanton
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 15:34:42 »
Thank you, Joe, for the comments.  Appreciate you responding.
Don
67 250 Sl
(#3168) from Italy
5-speed/Posi/AC/Kinder