Author Topic: Soft Top Frame  (Read 4886 times)

Alex D

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Cary
Soft Top Frame
« on: May 10, 2011, 14:31:51 »
Does anyone know where I can find a donor frame for a 1967 250SL?  California Coupe never had a soft top, and would like to put one on.   Would a frame from a 230 or 280 fit on 250?  Nothing in the sale section.

Thank,
Alex D
Alex D
1967 250 SL
Original 140K mi
181 Light Beige, with  112 Turquoise Interior

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Soft Top Frame
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 17:58:24 »
Alex,

The soft top frames are sometimes available on eBay, and I believe Gernold at SL-TECH in Maine sells them.  You will NOT get away cheap, guaranteed.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 18:01:25 »
Hello Alex,

All softtop frames fit. There are differences in details but generally you can swap in any 113 softtop fame.
Since the California coupé was not designed for the softtop, there is some specialized work necessary to put the softtop frame in, e.g. constructing the rear latch and more but basically you can get it working.

Softtop frames are not easily to come by. You can ask Gernod Nisius from SL Tech in Aurundel, Maine; he certainly has several frames. However, those are pricey but overhauled.
You should also ask the other sources with vendor-like characteristics: Dan Caron (Dr. Benz), Tom Colitt, K&K, and others.
Just keep your eyes open.

Good luck
Achim
(who finished hunting for his softtop frame)
Achim
(Germany)

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 18:37:26 »
Here is the other pic I was looking for.

Was taken 2003 in Speyer at the 40th Anniversary where 364 Pagodas were around.
I "believe" the pic was taken by Klaus Drexl ... but I don't remember for sure anymore ...

Achim
Achim
(Germany)

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 15:28:31 »
Alex,
The coupe was intended to be a coupe.  The hardtop is just removable because that's how the bodies were already built.   The installation of a soft top involves cutting and welding that will always be apparent.  Somewhere on the German Pagode site used to be a series of photos and a story about the retrofit.

Decent, servicable, soft top frames run about $3500.  Then you add the canvas for another $1K or so.  Then a skilled welder and interior person to try to dress it out.  Any wonder why Coupes are about $5K less than roadsters?

My suggestion is to embrace being a "Couper".
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Dasilvafox

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 22:12:38 »
Did you find someone supplying a new soft top frame,are they all the same for 230 250 280

Any help would be good

Thanks

Alex D

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Cary
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 12:23:35 »
Yes, I found one.  Buy chance I was talking to David at Buds Benz and asked him if they had one, he called me back item minutes later and said he had one just not sure what car it came from.  The deal was if it didn't fit or work right I would get a full refund.  To this day, it works well, with the typical issues everyone has with soft tops.   I also remember talking to someone on this forum in up state New York, Buffalo area maybe,  who had one in a "parts" car.   Don't remember who that person was.   

If you do find one, make sure you have someone show you how to properly lift it out of the compartment otherwise you will have it "freeze up".  Happened to me very first time I tried to put the top up.   

Alex
Alex D
1967 250 SL
Original 140K mi
181 Light Beige, with  112 Turquoise Interior