Author Topic: chrome strip - fixing  (Read 4311 times)

wymlen

chrome strip - fixing
« on: April 12, 2011, 16:57:51 »
The lower chrome side strips are fixed to the wing and aluminium door panel with self tapping screws. In time this causes corrosion problems from the screw, does anyone know of a plastic insert which I believe was used on other Mercedes models which prevented this. The insert was screwed or a push fitted into a slightly larger hole, the self-tapper then screwed into the plastic preventing metal to metal contact.

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Re: chrome strip - fixing
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 18:42:22 »
I think the problem with this idea might be getting the inserts flush enough so that the chrome strip does not have a gap
to the bodywork.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

wymlen

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 18:54:41 »
The chrome strips have a slight recess on the back.

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:30:40 »
Check out the W107 trim fitting hardware.
Most clips are plastic but the ends of the strips are secured with a stud/nut and thin flanged plastic washers are used to protect the metal/paintwork.

Naj
68 280SL

wymlen

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 10:27:05 »
Will do, sounds like it's what I'm looking for, many thanks.
Mal

Witt

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 03:32:20 »
.....When I restored my car all those screws where rusted and frozen......did the PO used crappy screws or did Mercedes use inferior stuff (Heaven forbid....) I had a hell of a time removing and drilling out sometimes heating up  and .......you know the drill ( yea and that to....)
Anyway, original or not I installed all that trim with high grade stainless steel screws, washers lock washers, or nylocks in some places, and nuts.

CHEERS !
WITT !