Author Topic: advice needed on stripped screw  (Read 6415 times)

Douglas

advice needed on stripped screw
« on: March 16, 2003, 20:24:55 »
okay, this query is for my 114 sedan and not my 113, but it could potentially apply to a 113.

one of the screws that holds the driver's seat down to the floor won't screw down entirely because it's partially stripped. as a consequence, the seat is slightly loose.

i know i could shim the screw to reduce the "play," but that changes the angle of the seat.

does anyone have any suggestions about how i can fix this problem?

thanks in advance.

Tom

• Gold
  • USA, VA, Alexandria
Re: advice needed on stripped screw
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2003, 21:21:55 »
Doug,

You can remove the seat and re-tap the thread.  There are Heli coil kits that include the tap, inserting mandrel and stainless steel thread inserts that expand into the threaded hole and make a nice new thread.

It's not hard.

Best,

Tom
1971 280sl Tunis Beige Metallic
1971 280sl Beach Driver

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2003, 03:30:22 »
hey Doug,
What is stripped the screw or the hole that it screws into?
Why not replace the screw?
Alternately could you pack some washers under the head of the screw that would alter the part of the thread being used but it would not alter the angle of your seat.

Bob(Brisbane,Australia)
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2003, 07:08:18 »
bob,

it's the hole that's stripped. it basically won't let the screw work its last few turns. consequently, there's "play" in the screw (and the seat).

my previous solution was to place washers underneath the screw as you suggested. the problem was that it changed the seat angle since i had to make the base higher on two of its four corners.

i'll try re-threading the hole as tom suggested.

thank you both for your advice.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2003, 18:50:04 »
Hello Doug,
On the 114's the seats fasten into "cage nuts" which are clipped into place. If the bolt accidentally gets started wrong the nut will break loose from it's cage and simply spin with the bolt making tightening or loosening impossible. Careful observation with a strong light will help. Notice that the front cage nuts are accessable from the opening in the backside of the little box channel. The rear cage nuts are cliped to bracket welded to the floor. The solution is to remove the bolt if possible and replace the cage nut. Often times the bolt cannot be removed since the nut is spinning with it. In this case try levering up on the seat. This pressure will  lock the nut temporarily in place long enough to unfasten the bolt. If this does not work use some needle nose vicegrips or some other tool to jamb the nut so the bolt can be removed. The cage nut and clip can be removed afterwards. It is a very inexpensive part, or just send me an SASE and I will give you a good used one.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally