Author Topic: Body Rubber Kit  (Read 5751 times)

ashley

Body Rubber Kit
« on: March 24, 2011, 22:55:12 »
My 69 280SL goes into the paintshop tomorrow, when I get it back I know the money hemorrhage really begins. The chrome and everything else that was "good enough" before now will look shabby next to the gleaming fresh paint. So the dilemma is new vs aftermarket. As I'm on a budget I usually lean to the later. For example the aftermarket body rubber kit that Buds sells is $659 vs $1143 for OEM, does anyone have experience with the less expensive rubbers, should I or shouldn't I ? 
Thanks, Eric

Rolland

Re: Body Rubber Kit
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 14:06:50 »
Check with the classic center. I found them a bit less than the OEM prices at buds and millers.,

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 20:54:33 »
Eric,

There are a couple of rubber seals that you don't want to go other than OEM. I brought most of my rubbers from Buds and Millers but two that I found needed replacing with OEM were the window seals as the non original just did not fit and the other are the front door to window seal that on the Miller/Bud was only rubber where as the original has a cloth covering on it that allows the window to slide up the guide/groove smoothly.  All the others appeared to be fine in my replacement of rubbers.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

shanghaitom

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 21:53:07 »
I just bought complete body, soft top and hard top rubbers directly from MB Classic center cheaper than budz or millers and all genuine.

ashley

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 22:54:26 »
Thanks for the info, is it me or does the Classic Center not have a website with parts and prices listed, they want you to call ???
Eric

shanghaitom

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 22:59:11 »
You need to search by part number or call them.

Rolland

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 23:44:45 »
Everything I've done is by phone or email. Always talk to Jon Siggson. First call he got all infobon my car, now I don't have to tell him that.  It would be nice to have more on their site but Jon is great at attaching a parts breakdown to pinpoint parts. For some grommets he even went out and looked at a car they had on the floor.

Rolf

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 14:23:00 »
I am at the tail end of having my car restored. I got some rubber from Bud's ( The soft top rubber for around the windows). The rest I got from Jon at the Classic Center. I found the rubber from Bud's to be less pliable than from the Classic Center. The prices were a little more at Bud's. Jon is an extremely helpful person. It's easier to reach him through a direct line than the 800 number. If he is not at his desk, he will return your calls. As for kits, I asked Jon for the price of one for my hardtop and was told they didn't sell the rubber as a kit. The price I got from Jon for all the pieces was close to the price for a kit from Bud's
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 14:25:43 by Rolf »