Author Topic: Square weave carpet cleaning question  (Read 4481 times)

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Square weave carpet cleaning question
« on: February 16, 2011, 17:24:32 »
Hello altogether,

Today I have a technical question.
 ???

I would like to save and reuse my used factory square weave carpet set. However, this one is quite dirty and also partly faded.

Please, can you advice me how to clean this carpet most effectively? I know there are spray cans with dry foam available for furniture and carpets but those are mostly not effective enough.
Is wet vacuum cleaning a good and suitable alternative? Is it efficient but still careful enough with the aged material?
However, I have understood that the square weave carpet is made of natural fabric (wool, goose hair or similar) and has supposingly also been chemically treated against moths from the factory. Wouldn't this chemical stabilizer be removed during wet vacuum cleaning?
Can the carpet perhaps be re-treated with a suitable chemical against moths?

Also some of the fabric fibers/wool threads are also quite thin or brittle at some of the edges which make a careful treatment of the carpet even more mandatory.

Does anyone of you have any good experience with this?
I highly appreciate any good experience, advice, idea and tip.

And ah no, please … do not even think about the idea of new carpet set. The present color has no longer been available for decades. Therefore, a new carpet is absolutely a no-go. The orignal one is the only way to go for me.

Thanks a lot in advance & kind regards

Achim

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 18:13:56 by 114015 »
Achim
(Germany)

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
Re: Square weave carpet cleaning question
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 23:08:14 »
Achim,

While you may have already done this I would suggest speaking to an upholstry cleaner, perhaps someone specializing in delicate fabrics, or maybe a dry cleaner.
Good luck.  Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.
Cheers
Marcus
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 04:24:07 »
Achim,
there is no single answer and certainly no easy answers to your questions mainly because "dirty" can mean many different stains.
I went through the same ruminations and found no solution. The carpet on my 230SL under the soft top lid, for example,  had rust stains.  On the floor it was mostly greasy dirt, and on the tunnel lots of coffee stains with some orange juice sprinkled in - who knows?
So, what can one use? Rust is extremely difficult to get rid off - I am sure you remember from your chemistry classes how to re-dissolve ferric oxide:  acid or bases.  :o
Generally speaking I think a wet procedure is better than "dry foam"except perhaps on grease stains (water and oil, you know  ;) ) and if you can properly dry the fabric again then it should be OK.  I would consult with a cleaner of oriental rugs in your neighborhood what they would do.  If it were not for the backing that would be my preferred choice.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 18:40:59 »
Dear Alfred and Marcus,

Thanks a lot for your very valuable input; I highly appreciate it.
I am going ahead with your both recommendations.

It's only that I have to make sure not to "destroy" this original one.

Again, thanks a lot.

Best,

Achim
Achim
(Germany)