Author Topic: Making a Kinder Seat  (Read 4580 times)

Bill Sgro

• Senior
  • USA, FL, Bradenton
Making a Kinder Seat
« on: February 08, 2011, 04:56:54 »
I have had my 1970 280 SL since 1987.  

We have traveled from Portland,Oregon to Montreal to South West Florida (where we now live) together.  We have enjoyed various track events, autocrosses, rallies and concourses.  We have cruised almost 200,000 stylish, adventure filled miles together.  She has served me well from my single days to my life as a husband and father.

Now, when I want to take my favorite girls to the beach I need a kinder seat.  Which brings me to my question.  I have seen kinder seats on line for $1,000 and I know I could make one for a fraction of that.  Does anyone out there have the specifications on how to build one?   Most likely my 6 year old Gabriella will be the one traveling back there and of course I would need some sort of restraint.  

I am a purest and aside from adding a right hand mirror and a Becker Mexico I have kept the car as close to the way it came out of the factory as possible.  Before making any modifications such as a third seat to what has been a two seater for 31 years I want to make sure I do it correctly.

Any ideas?  Pictures are worth thousands of words.  Thanks.

Bill
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 11:43:44 by Peter van Es »
1970 280SL
1970 300SEL 3.5

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
Re: Making a Kinder Seat
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 09:01:49 »
I know it's not original, but how about welding in two attachment points for an Isofix childrens chair behind the seats and then just clip this in when needed? Your daughter would probably be a lot safer this way than in the sideways facing Kinder seat?
Perhaps the attachments can even be covered by the carpet when not in use, just a thought :-)

Ulf
1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 17:53:41 »
I'm not the most carefull person in the world by far and have many scars, broken bones and missing parts to attest to it but...I have to say that riding in the back of a car sideways where the steel cover of the top compartment lid meets your head or neck just doesn't seem like a great idea. Even a minor crash could really be bad. Not to mention these cars have zero rollover protection.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 05:33:16 by Shvegel »

dtuttle123

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 00:28:42 »
Bill - there is a kinder seat just listed on e-bay for $275.  Item No: 140510944272.  I'm not the seller - just passing on the information.