Author Topic: 230SL door lock problem.  (Read 3771 times)

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
230SL door lock problem.
« on: January 22, 2011, 21:35:25 »
When I tried to open the door yesterday from the inside it would open only partially because the latch did not clear the striker plate completely.
Had to open the window and unlock the door from the outside.
The problem is that the inside release lever does not pull/push the latch (hooks?) as far down as the outside push button does.
This can be seen clearly in the attached photo: the left frame shows the position with the outside button pushed in, the right frame shows it when the inside lever is used.
I am aware that the inside lever can be adjusted but it is already in its most forward position. Also pulling on the release rod does not change the hook position.
On the passenger door the hooks go down to the same position when pushed from the out side or pulled from the inside.
I would like to know whether this is a normal situation for the driver side lock - since it has the additional lock out preventer not present on the passenger side - and I need to adjust the door height and/or the striker plate position. Or are these symptoms of a failing lock?
I'd appreciate it if 230SL owners could take a look at the driver door and let me know.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

lurtch

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa
  • " ICON 66 "
Re: 230SL door lock problem.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 03:59:22 »
Hi Alfred,   I had a similar problem occur on my car also, but only after I reinstalled the door panels after recovering them with leather instead of vinyl. I am unable to say if this is the same problem or not.

In my case, it turned out that the lower sheet metal screw of the pair that attaches the chrome horseshoe trim piece was too long (or was tightened too much). It protruded just far enough beyond the metal casting to jam the action of the latch mechanism. Sort of like a phantom set screw.

Regards, Larry Hemstreet

P.S. saw you in the Euro tour photos that were in Pagoda Notes.
Larry Hemstreet  in  N. Cal.

1966  230SL  Met. Anthracite w/ Maroon leather
1981  300TDT (Concours, 86K w/ GETRAG 5sp)
1982  300TDT (rough and rusty)
1986  560SEC (totaled)
1991  300TE (gifted)
1998  E320 (sold)
2004  E320 wagon (gifted)
2008  CLK550 cabriolet

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 04:15:53 »
Hi Alfred, I cannot say if your lock is failing or not -- but I can tell you that in my case both the inside and the outside mechanisms bring the hook to the same position. The left photo looks to be correct. Both my driver's and passenger doors are the same.
James
63 230SL

al_lieffring

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 15:29:47 »
hey Alfred

After your phone call I dug around and found that spare left side door latch we had talked about.
I doubt that it is in any better condition than your latch, there is lots of wear on working parts, most of the corners on the catching surfaces are rounded off.

I could send it to you if you would like to experiment with it, these latches are riveted together, not much you can do to take them apart and make repairs.

Al

you could try making a  "S" bend in the rod to the inside handle to take out some of the slack and see if that helps, but there is also the possibility that that cold cause the door to pop open or jam the locking mechanism, but I would try it any way, you could always straighten it back out if causes problems.

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 19:29:07 »
Thanks Al!
 I was able to move the striker plate so that the door just barely hangs up now, but this is only a temporary solution because the situation will get worth with usage.
Good news is that once Blacklick is thawed out again Joe A. will look for a good used one in his treasure chest. Apparently the lock was also used on other cars.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)