Author Topic: Barn Find  (Read 50669 times)

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
Re: Barn Find
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 22:43:13 »
There is a picture here of Benz Doctor’s plug tool.

Speaking of Benz Doctor, where is he?
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

douglas dees

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2010, 00:18:33 »
Thank you for this great story.
It is allowing me to relive almost exactly what I experienced 2 years ago. I'm sure it is peaking the memories of many.
I don't want to rain on your parade, but you might have a little problem with the fuel pump. If so, it is a small setback given all of your successes.
I remember the first time I turned the key.
It was a glorious day.
Enjoy this ride and the ride that will follow when you are behind the wheel.

My 69 280SL that sat in the Beaches in Toronto outside for 4 years had the gas lines blown out and injection pump cleaned as well as the gas tank and pump. All fluids/filters  were changed. Compression was 40 lbs due to a spun bearing. Hope yours is good to go
Doug Dees :)
Toronto

snowyt 69

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2010, 04:27:17 »
So I have had more time to look around.
Bought a battery and a 14 mm Allen wrench to drain the oil today.
Drained the oil (cold). The oil cooler (cold). The transmission is drained. Will drain the rad and the block tomorrow. Also cold. It’s not like I am in any position to start the car.
Looked real hard at the fuel pump, and listened to what she said.
“Touch me at your peril.”
For the first time I have seen evidence of Snow White’s real age. The fuel pump is obviously the original. I could take it out, take it apart, but to what end? I am sure to bust the gas line, as it is fraught with rust. Replace all the seals only to find it leaks. So I’m rolling the dice. Again. I’m leaving her alone. My twenty says she functions as she is. If not, I have lost nothing. I am sure to ruin what is here in the first place. If she functions, I have won. If she doesn’t, it is simply the inevitable.
I took the gas line off the pump, and I had a good jolly sniff at the results. I smelled…gasoline.
Not the varnish that was in the tank.
This was gasoline.
You must understand. Snow White was a functioning entity the day she was driven into the garage and simply parked. Top down. For eight years.
So the grunge that accumulated in the fuel tank was never distributed to the rest of the car. Where is the fuel pump? Twelve inches away by line from the tank? What would it take, a simple turn of the key?
This never happened. I was told this never happened, and laughably enough I believed the story.
As far as I can determine, I am not wrong in my beliefs.
I will keep you posted.

Bob Killam

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2010, 21:07:25 »
+Sounds like Your having To Much Fun!!   
10 years ago I went through A similar experience not as bad as yours, Mine was in heated storage since 83,Someone ahead of Me had tried to fire it up with partial susses, Three cylinders was all she had,This was in A machine shop storage area where the owner parked it and bought His wife A new car.Origanally it was not for sale.Saving for his son I believe,Ten years ago they opened it up for bids but did not advertise it,My son works there and told me about it as we had talked about the car many times as we both knew it was there.The shop is Berkshire Ind. in Westfield Ma.
    I was employed there when the car was originally bought new,Some jerk who worked in the office there put in A Battery and fuel and went for it.The old Girl told him to never go near it again when he offered 500 bucks for it I inherited the Battery.What I started to tell you was that some of the pistons in the injector punp were stuck.After freeing those Up I had all 6 cylinders purring,12000 Miles later the Fuel Pump.Injector Pump,Tranny and engine are as they were when I bought It,
  Good Luck
  Bob k  The 113 is A 250 Auto with 145000 miles

snowyt 69

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 04:19:11 »
SNOW WHITE RAD BLOCKAGE

It has been real warm here the last couple of days, plus 9 Celsius, so I figured I’d drain the rad and the block.
The rad drained no problem, but I found some suspicious bits of coagulated stuff in the run off. Hmm.
Pulled the plug in the block and got similar results. Hmm.
So I started removing hoses. I removed the lower rad hose first from the inlet to the block.
The entire opening is plugged by what used to be Prestone. It’s a solid mass by now, the consistency for the most part like rubberized sugar cubes.
Pulled the upper rad hose and fluid ran out. Real live green fluid.
Pulled the hose off the thermostat, removed the four 10 mm studs, and then had to beat the daylights out the housing with a hammer and a sturdy two by four before it would let go. I know it is made of aluminium. But sometimes cooing endearments just doesn’t cut it in the real world of auto mechanics.
Got the cover off and found the thermostat covered to the rafters in goo. Fished out the sealing ring, and removed the thermostat. Cleaned in the laundry tubs inside. A quick run to the stove in a pot of water to see if it works. It does. A Mercedes original thermostat by the way. Lots of numbers and the three pointed star too.
So how insidious is this corruption of coolant? I do not know. How clogged is the block? The rad? Everything?
Again, I do not know.
I scraped out the worst of the blockage in the inlet pipe with a long handled, fine tipped slot head screw driver. Nice to know they still have some use.
Then I did what I could think of. I put a really high test wet vacuum hose on the lower rad intake housing to the block. Fit perfectly by the way. Spun the vacuum up on high, and flushed the thermostat housing from above. Then, getting my son to put his hand over the opening to the thermostat housing, I reverse flushed the block from below. My thinking was that all this grot must have settled from above. Gravity and what not. So I flushed it out backwards. Made sense to me. I fired five gallons of hot water through the drain plug in the block, and sucked it out from above. I thought this a good start.
The next day I bought High Test Block flush stuff from the local parts shop. Filled, waited, and flushed. The block ran clean and drained itself in no time.
I have filled the block with fresh anti-freeze. The unanswered question is how much of this goo is in the water pump? I can not say. But I took the worst of the sugar cubes from the inlet pipe and sat them in clear water over night. They appear to be reverting to their natural state, which is liquid.
So I thought, instead of ripping out the rad, the fan, the water pump and everything, why not just reverse flush out the worst of the goop, fill the whole thing up with lubricant (rad fluid) and see what happens?
Sounds like a plan to me.
I’ll keep you posted.

snowyt 69

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2011, 04:20:21 »
SNOW WHITE ENERGIZED

Cleaned the modest amount of shells off the battery shelf. Scraped what little residue from old battery was there. It's really pretty solid. I would say it was a rusted out piece of junk if it was.
Slid my brand new battery into place. I knew it would fit simply because I took the old one to the parts place and measured them both. The old one cleared the oil cooler line and no more. The new one is somewhat smaller, so it was a piece of cake.
I energised Snow White and had a look around.
The starter motor works. The engine spins freely.
The lights all work. Low beams, high beams, marker lights. Turn signals left and right. The left rear taillight does not light up. Nor does the right rear license plate light. I suspect this is bulbs and will attend to them.
The horn honks.
The wipers wipe.
The radio works.
The heating fan functions on all speeds.
The gauges all light up.
None of this surprises me by the way. I honestly believe that when I bought her, Snow White wanted to live. To function as she is supposed to. To be the car she was built to be.
To be truthful, this is why I bought her in the first place. I was so cold I couldn't even think. But she talked to me back then in the garage with her four flat tires and a mouse hole in her top.
“I am,” she said. “I can be again. Trust me.”
So I did. And thus trust is what the story is all about.

snowyt 69

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2011, 23:27:56 »
ME AND MR. FUEL PUMP

Have not been getting along.
Having filled the lovely Snow White with fresh oil and a filter, fresh transmission oil (no filter. Dropping the pan comes later.), a new steering pump filter and the block with fresh Prestone, it was time to add fresh gasoline and check out the status of Mr. Fuel Pump. Nothing but the best for Snow White. $1.35 a litre for the highest of high tests. $5.40 a U.S. gallon.
Got my son to twist the key while I waited for the gallon a minute flood into my catch bucket.
Nothing happened.
Got him to try again. And again.
Okay that’s it.
I’ve already checked the fuse. Now maybe it’s the wiring to the pump, but I think it’s Mr. Fuel Pump.
Reluctantly I begin the task of removing Mr. Fuel Pump. I bust off the red electrical lead nut in all of ten seconds. Can’t even get a grasp on the brown one, as the nut is so corroded. No force in the universe is going to remove the fuel line nut, so I remove the downstream fuel line at the clamp. Take off the three eight-mm nuts holding the pump to the bracket no problem, and drop this insidious piece of machinery on the floor.
Bench-test the pump inside. Nothing.
Having read the detailed fuel pump disassembly procedure on this board, I begin by busting off the first of the three slot-headed nuts holding the “can” in place. With Mr. Vice Grip. Actually get the other two out threads and all, so think I’m winning. Although Mr. Can is supposed to come out with a gentle tug, Mr. Can has had 42 years to get solidly rusted in place, so I beat the daylights out of it with a hammer and a really sharp cold chisel, and it finally lets go.
Fiddling around with what I have found, the brown electrical connection just sorts of falls out of the can. I figure it is supposed to. I don’t exactly take Mercedes fuel pumps apart everyday.
I fiddle and whack and bust more bolts, generally having a great time. Machines are fascinating and intricate. It is a wonder they even get us to the end of our respective driveways.
In the end I determine that the sole likely reason Mr. Fuel Pump no longer functions is because the microscopic connection to the brown electrical lead has come adrift. There is nothing else in the fuel pump amiss. No grunge. No build up of any crud. The vanes on the pump itself are perfect.
I could re-build it. I just might. But in the meantime I will look for a solid used pump. Bolt it in and see what happens. Remember I still don’t know what lurks further up the food chain. But one thing I know is that if it’s not getting gas, it’s not going to start. 
Mr. Fuel Pump-The Sequel. Coming to a message board soon.

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 00:30:54 »
This is a great story so far.  Keep it going.  I enjoy the reading.
Brad
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2011, 09:45:37 »
How much fuel is in the tank? If it's only a gallon it won't go....

I presume you've read the Fuel section of the Technical Manual thoroughly?

Good luck!

Peter
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 09:50:30 by Peter van Es »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

snowyt 69

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 02:33:29 »
MR. FUEL PUMP-THE SEQUAL

Unable to find a suitable pump at either Wal-Mart or Dollerama, I was forced at great expense to procure a new one. I did find a used one, but it was going to be $425.00 delivered to my door, and a new one was only $622.00 (plus 13 per cent tax and delivery). I thought the difference in price favoured the new one, which comes with a 24-month warranty. Brand new Bosch. The short pump. The exact match to the original pump in the car.  Bright and shiny.
I bought a full set of fitted hoses at the same time. New belts. Fitted them all. New clamps. Not Mercedes original clamps. Hey, a clamp is a clamp in my book.
Hoses were really all fine, save for the by-pass hose (the fat one) beneath the thermostat housing. Not confetti but filled with crud. I cut it off and replaced it.
The alternator belt looked like it had about two turns left in it before it fragmented to dust. The power steering belt was perfect.
Re-filled the gas tank with 35 litres of high test (approximately 9 U.S. gallons). Twisted the key and listened with glee as my really expensive new fuel pump fired to life. Watched with dismay as it pumped fuel out the top of the fuel filter at the bolt hole. Hmm.
Removed the bolt, cleaned up the mating surfaces and the really tiny copper sealing ring, and put everything back in place. This attention to detail seemed to make Snow White happy. No leaks.
So away we go.
Roused my brother from his flu-induced stupor and told him today was the day. Coughing and grumbling, but with a promise of coffee and beer he headed down.
Trouble light burning, space heaters working their magic, it a balmy -1 outside (hey, it was -20 yesterday), I stepped inside the lovely Snow White and twisted the key.
I had butterflies. I felt like a kid on Christmas Day.
Snow White turned over exactly twice and fired instantly to life. Her last plate ran out in February 2002. So figure she has been parked since September of 2001. Ten years give or take.
And when I say instantly, I mean INSTANTLY. On all six cylinders. With a graceful puff of blue smoke, which was the half a gallon of penetrating oil I’d squirted down her cylinders a month and a half ago.
I stared at my brother. He stared back.
“Well crap Hank (his name is not Hank. It is a term of endearment) that was easy.”
Before she tossed a rod, ejected a spark plug, or otherwise mis-behaved, I filled the expansion tank with high test rad flush and water, and then simply fiddled with the throttle linkage until the motor came up to temperature. She wasn’t exactly happy at idle, settling in at a rough 800 RPM. But she idled at this and didn’t stall. Settled in just north of 80 degrees on the gauge. Remember this is Celsius degrees.
Shut her off. Waited for her to cool. Drained the rad. Filled with water and started the process again. Shut her off, let her cool, then I drained both the rad and the block. Checked the fluid for crud, blobs of solidified coolant, the works, and found nothing.
Filled her up with fresh Prestone, circulated it about, and shut her down.
Now she goes back to sleep.
It does Snow White no favour to idle her on her blocks. What she really needs is go for a run. Stretch her pretty legs and fly.
This I will do in the spring. When the roads are clear of the salt and snow that covers them now.
Start and run I have achieved. No comes Shift. I have the bushings. I will peruse the board and figure out how to remove the carpet without damaging it. This is important. It is the original carpet. As much as possible I want to preserve Snow White, warts and all, just as I found her.
With special thanks to Benz Doctor, who walked me through the start up procedure on email. I had it pretty much figured out, but I missed a couple of steps, and for your help Dan I thank you.
I’ll keep you posted on what comes next.

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2011, 02:53:59 »
Removing the carpet is simple as the hump pieces is just held in by gravity.  It may be a little stuck to the floor from sitting but careful lifting will loosen it.  There are 4 bolts holding the shifter assembly.  The bushung under the car if disconnected will allow you to pull the shifter from above.  A little twist maneuver and it will slide out.  Press in new bushings at each point and reinstall connecting the lower one back to the transmission last.  An hour or so job.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2011, 13:58:12 »
Sounds great and you're smart to not further start it until you can drive.

Yes, Dan has always been a big help.  He and Joe know these cars better than anyone. 

Where is he?

John - Wisconsin
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2011, 00:51:02 »
Thank you for this great story.
It is allowing me to relive almost exactly what I experienced 2 years ago. I'm sure it is peaking the memories of many.
I don't want to rain on your parade, but you might have a little problem with the fuel pump. If so, it is a small setback given all of your successes.
I remember the first time I turned the key.
It was a glorious day.
Enjoy this ride and the ride that will follow when you are behind the wheel.
I'm quoting myself. How often does that happen?  ;D
What a glorious day !
Enjoy the successes !
Since it starts, runs, and idles, you just confirmed the functioning of many parts and systems !
Congratulations !! As soon as that weather breaks, I know you'll be driving.
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

snowyt 69

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2011, 02:53:07 »
MORE MUSINGS

It snowed quite heavily in the night here in Toronto, so I got up early and cancelled my jobs. This is one of the things I like about working for myself. 5 centimetres are quite enough to turn the roads into a two hundred square kilometre demolition derby. We got 20 in the night. The media termed it “Snow-pocalypse.” I’m not kidding. This is Canada for crying out loud, but I guess you have to sell newspapers somehow.
Anyhow, as it was a snow day, I fired up the space heaters and had a go at Snow White’s transmission shifter.
Many thanks badali. Although perhaps at one point held in place by glue (there was stuff that looked like glue on the back of the carpet), it did pull out just as you said. I had to tug on it a bit and work at it with a scraper, but in the end it came out in one piece and I didn’t tear it into shreds.
I spent the most time getting the shifter knob off. I could tell that it was simply a press fit, but it sure didn’t want to let go, and I was reluctant to hit it with a sledgehammer. In the end a little WD-40 and a modest application of heat from my heat gun was all it took. Might have come off easier in the summer, but realise that even with the heaters cranked up it is maybe plus 5 in my garage (40 degrees F). So you want to be gentle, especially with plastic.
Getting the shifter out took all of ten minutes. This is really a delightful car to work on. Not only is she simple and honest and straightforward, but the lack of rust makes everything a treat.
Hustled inside to the real warmth of my downstairs laundry room, broke out my cleaning pan and brushes and Varsol and had a jolly scrub down.
I believe the bits of confetti that fell off are what are left of the 732-shifter bushings that 66andBlue warned me about. I don’t have these in stock, so will have to order them. It’s not like I’m in a hurry. I’m not about to pop on a set of tire chains and see how the lovely Snow White runs.
I pulled up the rest of the carpets so I could have a look at the floors. Well, not just a look actually. I took a hammer to them. No, I did not wail it with all the force in the universe. A simple tap here, there, and everywhere. Metal rings. Rust is a thud. Happily, all I heard were rings.
This being out of the way with, it was downstairs to spark up the steam machine and clean the carpets. The passenger side carpet is beyond repair, as Mr. Mouse has had his way with it. The transmission hump carpet, and the driver’s floor carpet cleaned up just great. They are dark blue, the colour of the seats and the convertible top, which sadly Mr. Mouse had his way with too. On my list in the future to replace.
I called up the kindly people in Irvine, California to request a Data Card for Snow White today. Much to my surprise the charming woman on the phone told me such a card was free. Free! So I said I’d take ten. She laughed as she was supposed to. When it comes I’ll check out numbers and see what I’ve bought.
A question to you all. When I removed the oil plug from Snow White, it was painted a lurid blue. Over-spray on the oil pan. I noticed the same blue paint on my new fuel pump. Does this signify a replaced/re-built item? I took pictures of the oil plug before I cleaned off this offence. The blue over-spray is still on the oil pan. This was obviously deliberate. The rest of the block is painted black.
Again, I thank you all for the many posts I have read, and for the information I have received. It has made the task of bringing Snow White back to life way easier than a Haynes Manual, which never tells the whole story.
I’ll keep you posted.

snowyt 69

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2011, 04:18:11 »
DATA CARD

As delivered and according to the data card this is what I bought.
Engine: 130983-12-006602
Check.
Transmission: 001348
Oops. Mine is 001638. Exactly 290 transmissions later down the line. My guess, given the alacrity that these cars were being built in 1969 is that Snow White rolled off the line with a faulty transmission. That two weeks of build time later she was fitted with the transmission she now wears. Only a guess.
717- Paint, Papyrus White
Check
135- Interior Trim, MB-Tex Blue
Check
401- Single seats
Check
426- Mercedes-Benz power steering and automatic transmission with floor shift
Check
431- Safety belts front
Check
463- Hazard warning light with headlamp system
Check
514- Becker radio Europa
Check
680- D- sign
I guess
254- Elimination of lettering "Automatic"
Check
744- Folding top fabric, Dark Blue
Check
836- Fire Extinguisher
Where is it? I got hosed!

So, basically speaking, she is what I thought she was. A few numbers amiss on the transmission, but otherwise of a piece.
Have been spending my time while I await parts rubbing her down with Maguire’s most gentle of rubbing compounds. Went around the whole car, with special attention to the chrome and bright work, which was seriously pitted from neglect. Came up so well I yanked off the rear bumpers (4 17 mm bolts), so I could get to the parts I missed. Was coming up so well I simply went round again. Everywhere.
Nice re-spray on the paint. Not a drool anywhere. Some issues, which only if you’ve been looking at the paint under a microscope (which I have) you would even notice. Terrible job of taping it off. Over-spray basically everywhere. I will correct this.
It is two months till spring. Propane for the heaters is cheap.
And when the day comes that I lower her off her blocks and actually take her for a ride, Snow White is going to wear one fine set of clothes.
Am still waiting for the bushings to put the transmission shifter back together. When they come, I get to find out if Snow White actually SHIFTS. I’m sure she will. It was start and run that was major.
Got Dave my man down at the tire place to quote me on a set of tires. 195/75/R14’s. $440.00 plus tax (add 13%), less $40.00 if I buy them after March 15th. Well, it’s not like I’m in any big hurry. There’s a foot and a half of snow on the ground, and more on the way. Winter is actually behaving like winter down here.
Other than the tires, I need only a new convertible roof. I actually think the brakes will function. I actually think the car will shift. I can not be sure of any of this, but will wait until the snow and the salt are gone in the spring before I drive the car and confirm my suspicions.
I can only track the last thirty years of this car’s ownership. Since June and Bob owned it.
When I raised the convertible roof that cold November day when I bought the car, and found the mouse hole chewed in it, Bob was aghast.
“How did that happen?” he asked.
“Mouse,” I replied. “How long has it been since you put up the top Bob?”
He looked left and right, pondering. Finally all he said was, “Never.”
“Bob,” I said, freezing. “You’ve owned the car for thirty years. What did you do when it rained?”
“Oh, we simply took the Lexus. We never drove Snow White if we thought it would rain.”
I’m not making any of this up. This is the straight dope, and explains why Snow White is so tight and rust free.
Given this information, you’d think the windshield wiper motor would be seized solid.
It’s not. Works happily on both speeds. German stuff.
So away we go. Shifter bushings. Tires. A new roof.
And then a Papyrus White, seriously shiny 1969 Mercedes-Benz 280 SL Pagoda is going to join the ranks of the living. I am not restoring her, as she does not need it. I am simply resurrecting her, massaging her, and correcting what needs correcting.
Very soon she will be exactly as she was when I first saw her covered in dust and mouse shells. I saw the dust. I saw the mouse shells. But I saw something else. I saw a car calling out to be recognized, a car that spoke to me, a car that almost said please.
Snow White need never plead. I would not hear of it from such a fine machine.
Freezing cold, I touched her grubby flank and talked to her. Literally. And this is what I said.
“I do not know who you are or what you have been through. But being a mouse nest is beneath you. I will bid what I can, and if it goes well, I will bring you home and bring you back to life.”
My bid hit the mark, the tow truck rocked, and I am mere weeks from fulfilling my promise.
And so the story goes.

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2011, 08:08:56 »
Wow - can't wait for the movie.. ;)
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2011, 13:52:44 »
Great story thus far.  You should have someone in the passenger seat to film your reaction when you take it for its first drive. ;D 

When you checked the wipers did you also check the wiper fluid pump?  I am in the process of replacing mine.  Doing a bit a refitting because my 230SL comes with a shield over the pump and the new ones are not made for this.  What make tires are you putting on? 
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2011, 19:23:52 »
I too have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts about your resurrected "Snow White". I bet you can hardly wait to your great automobile back on the road. Spring will soon be here :)

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

Louis

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2011, 22:04:56 »
This W113 has gotten lucky ..... ;D

snowyt 69

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2011, 07:29:43 »
BENZ DR.

Oh Dan is alive and well. We had been emailing one another about parts I need and the state of Snow White. He said he was coming to town this weekend and would drop by at some point. Showed up at my door today. I had sort of assumed he would call before he came, he sort of assumed I knew he was coming, so I was at my son’s music lesson when he rang me on my cell phone from the phone in my kitchen. We got this mis-communication sorted out in all of ten seconds, and I sent him downstairs in my house to find the guts of the shifter assembly in the laundry room. Told him I’d be home in an hour.
I rolled in the drive in the Sewing Machine exactly an hour later to find Dan in my garage with the shifter assembly already together. He’d had a pleasant gander at Snow White without my prying eyes by this time. I’d never met Dan by the way, but I liked him immediately. He was much as I pictured him.
I cranked up all the space heaters on full, as though not unpleasantly cold this isn’t exactly Florida where I live. We got to work.
The first order of business was to hook up the transmission shifter. This took about ten minutes, mainly because every time I climbed under the car I didn’t have the right wrench/screwdriver/whatever for the task. I should have taken all the tools; but then again, I should have been born a mechanic.
Got this done and then cranked Snow White to life. She was a tad crabby and cantankerous, farted to life and settled into her loopy idle.
“Runs pretty good for a five cylinder car,” Dan said drolly. “Shut her down. I will fix.”
And thus began what I can only describe as a five hour long performance of mechanical ballet.
Now I am what I will call, without any condescension, a skilled garage mechanic. My peers think me a wizard, but that is only because they don’t know one end of a spark plug from the other. I am skilled, and eventually I will figure out just about anything. But in the presence of a real mechanic I will simply watch in awe.
Today I watched in awe as Dan, Benz Dr. to you all, worked his magic on the lovely Snow White.
He was not happy first with the throttle linkage, so he ripped it off the car, stuck it in my vice, and wished he’d brought an 8-mm wrench. Well, I had one, and dug it out for him. He fiddled and adjusted, we cranked Snow White to life, and she ran lousy.
“Wish I had an Ohm meter,” lamented Dan, frowning mightily at my spark plug wires. So I went and got him mine. They were fine.
“Must be this!” wailed Dan. It wasn’t. “How about that?” It wasn’t. He cranked the injection pump adjuster valve twenty turns, screwed the idle adjuster up to about two grand, and Snow White fired happily to life. On five, and then without warning, on all six cylinders.
“Well, except for the fact all the settings are retarded, we’re getting somewhere,” said Dan. He winked at me and stared at my motor.
Reaching down he touched some obscure hose. Felt the rad. Grinned to beat the band.
“I’ve got it! This hose/valve/system is plugged. I must fix at once!”
I handed him every tool in my arsenal to no avail.
“If only I had an oxygen/acetylene torch this would be a piece of cake,” Dan lamented
Luckily I have one. I just had to go and get the hoses, which were where we weren’t.
Armed with heat and enough tools to build the CN Tower, the part was off in two minutes.
“Too bad we don’t have any Silicone Blue sealant.”
I had some of course.
We had to pause for dinner, simple fare but lots of it. Dan went wild for the chocolate sauce on his ice cream for dessert.
Back to the garage, where parts were flying left right and centre. Finally found what Dan was looking for, a blockage in the coolant system around the intake manifold. On the right front side of the car where all the other blockages were. Dug out the worst of this stuff with a screwdriver then flushed it all in the laundry tub downstairs.
“Now she will run like she’s supposed to,” Dan assured me.
Back to the garage, wrenches flying, Dan calling out for this, that and the other thing, which of course I have.
Sparked up the lovely Snow White and she fired instantly to life.
“That’s no bloody good,” announced Dan. “Too rich.”
Fiddle.
“Too lean.”
Fiddle. Fiddle. Fiddle.
“Put her in gear and stomp on the brakes.”
Some serious grinding noises from the back.
“Have you got any lug nuts?”
Is the Pope Catholic?
“Stomp on the brakes. Put her in gear.”
The tach never moves.
“I love it!” Dan announces. It is almost 10 PM. A fine white mist of exhaust is filling the night behind the open garage door. Dan steps into it and takes a mighty sniff.
“Ah, the smell of a Pagoda that is running right. It is unmistakable when you know what to smell.”
I step into the mist and give it a sniff. It smells like a GM car with a bad catalytic converter.
“That’s how it’s supposed to smell?” I ask Dan.
“Trust me,” is all he says.
And I do.
Up on her blocks we admire the lovely Snow White, purring away like a kitten. She never hesitates, never stumbles. This is going to be one fun day in the spring.
But I have to ask the question.
“So what do you think Dan? I mean, you know way more about these cars than I do. I’ve never owned a Mercedes before. What do you think of Snow White?”
“You want me to be honest?”
“Of course.”
“I thought when I read your posts that you were somewhat knowledgeable about what you were doing. I admired your love of your car, but figured that you like almost all my clients overstated the importance of their car simply because they owned it. I had a pretty good look around before you even got home.”
“And?”
“And Pagoda’s rust here. They rust there. I checked. I was sort of surprised to find that you were right. I thought, if this thing runs half as good as the frame, then this is one seriously lovely mouse nest.”
We had a laugh at that. 5 hours of artistry later, Snow White ran as she is supposed to run.
I will meet Dan again I’m sure. The food here is good, and the company is better. He will always be welcome in my house.
His love of these cars is obvious. His skill is obvious. I made a new friend today.

dtuttle123

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2011, 10:55:54 »
Great writing style!!   Somewhat a cross between a detective and a victorian romance novel!  I especially enjoyed these lines in this chapter:

I step into the mist and give it a sniff. It smells like a GM car with a bad catalytic converter.
“That’s how it’s supposed to smell?” I ask Dan.
“Trust me,” is all he says.
And I do.

Louis

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2011, 12:05:17 »
Benz Dr to the resue.  Nothing beats a skilled hand !!!! 

GTMSJ

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2011, 04:30:19 »
This has been a great read...the suspense inherent in your writing style is a wonderful accoutrement to this site. I can't wait for the next installment!

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2011, 04:58:06 »
I didn't know the Dr. made house calls...

(Dan, Dan, the West Coast beckons...)

Thanks Snowy
James
63 230SL

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2011, 13:38:38 »
Excellent read. 

Yes, Dan knows his stuff.  Too bad he's been so absent of late.  What gives?

Can't wait to read the prose and poetry of the spring drive.

John - Wisconsin
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750