Author Topic: wiper motor paint scheme  (Read 3891 times)

rwh

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • USA, CA, San Mateo
wiper motor paint scheme
« on: December 09, 2010, 00:37:25 »
I'm trying to do a faithful restoration of our 230sl -- #4523 - June '64.  The wipers were seized and I was able to remove the motor and linkage and finally free the linkage.  Was the entire wiper motor and mounting plate painted satin black or was it just the motor with the mounting plate cad plated (silver not yellow)?  Also, does the Eastwood underhood black serve as a good satin black similar to original? Thanks.

Bernd

Re: wiper motor paint scheme
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 04:44:46 »
On my 280 SL the motor is plain zinc, nothing fancy (same on a '64 230SL I once owned) IMO a really good replacement for the satin black paint is the Rust-Oleum Advanced formula Universal satin black paint. Sprays well and matches nicely to the original sheen. Used this on the handbrake lever, the steering column, etc...and it really looks good to my eyes.

dseretakis

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 13:23:18 »
On my 280 SL the motor is plain zinc, nothing fancy (same on a '64 230SL I once owned) IMO a really good replacement for the satin black paint is the Rust-Oleum Advanced formula Universal satin black paint. Sprays well and matches nicely to the original sheen. Used this on the handbrake lever, the steering column, etc...and it really looks good to my eyes.

Is that the same shade of black as the standard rust oleum satin black?

Bernd

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 13:35:55 »
didn't try that one, as I found the other one first. It's cool as the can sprays at any angle, and I believe it to be such a close match that I didn't go searching further. It lays on a nice fine coat-not bad at all considering it's out of a can

dseretakis

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 14:07:11 »
Where did you buy it?

Bernd

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 00:16:00 »
Home Depot has it