Author Topic: Opinion on colour change  (Read 4410 times)

flyingv

Opinion on colour change
« on: November 23, 2010, 23:05:03 »
Hi all

I have an 050 white 250sl which I have decided to spray silver (can someone confirm if there is more than one silver...?...db190??)........the question I have is that the guy restoring the car has said that spraying/colour coding the inner wings and bulkhead to match the silver is "a very big job and that the bulkhead will be covered with soundproofing anyway" ......this kind of shocked me...ending up with a mainly silver car with white inner wings to the engine bay.....won't this look strange, moreover affect resale?.

Thx in advance.

Ps I remember seeing a site with pictures of sl's in all the various colours stating their code but cannot locate it...anyone know where I can find it again...? Thx

reggie

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Leeds
Re: Opinion on colour change
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 23:21:43 »
You could cheat a bit and do it satin black, like under the bonnet and boot, not perfect i know, but a colour change is a big job, depends how good your car is to start with i think, Tricky one that -  ???
1969 280 5 speed zf 180g

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 23:53:40 »
Ps I remember seeing a site with pictures of sl's in all the various colours stating their code but cannot locate it...anyone know where I can find it again...? Thx
The paint codes are listed in the Technical Manual: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/DataCard/Start

You'll regret doing a color change without changing the engine bay color. Here is a photo of my 280SL that one of the previous owners had changed from 268H green to 470 Colorado beige. Not only do I not like the (wrong) beige color but every time I opened the hood and noticed the green color under the firewall pad I cringed.
The second photo shows the progress changing the car to 904G.   :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 23:55:54 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

dseretakis

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 01:38:24 »
Don't do it! Either keep the original color or disassemble the entire car and repaint everything.

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 16:38:04 »
Yeah - keep it white, but if you do decide for a change to silver (180G), then either have the entire car done or at least have the engine compartment painted satin black (then you can keep it like that the next time you want a new colour...)

But as the Germans say "Weiss ist heiss" and unlike a 107 that looks cheap in white, Pagodas look great in that colour :-)

1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper

pablo_o2

• Senior
  • Belgium, Flanders, Zoersel
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 13:25:43 »
My car was 050 white also and I changed it to DB180 silver. As long as it is an originally available colour it's OK. Don't skip the engine bay or dashboard, you'll regret it later. Do it correct or leave it because it's a serious investment after all.

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 17:13:10 »
I'll provide the counterpoint.  Our car is "light beige" and I hate the color.  Because of the pressure to maintain originality, we repainted the same color.  It looks better, but I wish I had have gone for a slightly different (less beige) color.  So my question is who are you painting it for?  If you are painting it for the next owner, then don't change color or if you do, spend lots of money and do it right.  If you are painting for you and you can live with a different color in the engine bay then go for it.  It will lower the resale value but if you aren't going to sell it then that hardly manners.  Another consideration is whether your car is an expesive restoration show car or a driver.    If it's a driver then enjoy it the way you want it and on your budget. 

So there!

ps. I wish my car were white instead of light beige.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 11:49:46 »
Maybe, we should all just swap cars three-way :-)
1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper