Author Topic: Interior Mirror.  (Read 3733 times)

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
Interior Mirror.
« on: November 17, 2010, 22:12:21 »
I need to separate the black interior mirror head from the chrome mounting arm so that i can have the arm re-chromed. 1968 280sl.
I have read conflicting info: on this subject, is it possible and if so what is the correct procedure?
Eric

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
Re: Interior Mirror.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 00:39:41 »
Find yourself a full chrome one from an earlier car; much nicer!!

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 02:03:08 »
Find yourself a full chrome one from an earlier car; much nicer!!

Only if one is unconcerned about originality. I believe a 1968 280SL should have the black mirror, with the dull finish on the arm.
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

69280sl

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Elk Grove
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 02:23:54 »
"Only if one is unconcerned about originality. I believe a 1968 280SL should have the black mirror, with the dull finish on the arm."
Waqas

Yes as Waqas says. I recently went through this. In my case the silvering of the mirror was showing its age. MB does not have the exact replacement mirror but they have a mirror, from a different model which uses the same head and a slightly different arm.

I took the head off the new and used it with my old arm. If you do this heat (gun) applied to the ball and socket will make removal and reassembly much easier.

Gus

Gus

68 280sl, signal red/ beige/black softtop. Car # 1084

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 21:58:41 »
Hello Gus,
Thank you for the info: i used my heat gun and the mirror head came off quite easily.
As a matter of interest the finish on the removed arm is chrome not a dull finish and from all indications it has never been removed previously.
Eric

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 23:33:01 »
Hello Eric.   ;)

As a matter of interest the finish on the removed arm is chrome not a dull finish and from all indications it has never been removed previously.

Sure yours should be chromed. You've got a (RHD) Europa version, not US. That's why.
Only US-versions had the mirror arm, the horn ring, some trim on the upper windscreen frame, soft-type door pockets etc. - but only after 250 VIN 002980, of course.

See the Wiki.

All others have more chrome.

Achim
(Euro-230 with usual amount of chrome - like US-230ies)
Achim
(Germany)