Author Topic: Turning indicator switch problem  (Read 5276 times)

dcseidman

Turning indicator switch problem
« on: November 13, 2010, 19:01:29 »
Can anyone tell me [1] what causes this, [2] if they have experienced it themselves, [3] how to do a repair:

when I signal for a right turn, the windscreen squirts operate (quite unwelcome when top is down!).  All's OK when signalling for a left turn (most unwelcome, as I am a Republican!) 

Anyone out there who can share some wisdom on this?  The turning signal apparatus is probably the third one on the vcar - in the 40 years in which I have owned the car - and itr might be ready for replacement again, though as best as I remember the problems with the last w2 unbits, they wouldn't hold the selected position (when they wore out), but this is NOT a problem this time.

Awaiting your observations.   Thanks.     David

jeffc280sl

Re: Turning indicator switch problem
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 22:53:51 »
Hi David,

I take it this is a recent problem and if so it sounds like a failure inside the turn signal.  They are quite expensive to replace.  I would consider unplugging the washer pump.  I never use mine.

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: Turning indicator switch problem
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 04:23:13 »
Can anyone tell me [1] what causes this,  ..
Most likely a short. To find out I would remove the lid on the connector at the end of the cable that comes out of the steering column (1st photo) and its receptacle and check for any misalignment of wires - especially # 9 to the signal relais and #3 the right turn signal wire - or any loose metal chips that could cause a short.
If nothing is obvious then signal a right turn and check with a voltmeter whether the washer pump pin (#11)  is hot.  If it is then the problem is up in the stalk at the switch. Unscrew the switch at the column and pull it out with the cable and inspect it for broken wires or shields.
It might help reading this discussion and looking at the posted photos of the switch innards: http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=3821
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)