Author Topic: are convertable top springs really needed  (Read 4034 times)

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
are convertable top springs really needed
« on: November 10, 2010, 04:07:33 »
someone mentioned their top worked better without them. What exactly is their purpose and are they really needed????
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
Re: are convertable top springs really needed
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 09:34:34 »
When the soft top is pulled up out of the storage compartment, the springs hold the rear of the soft top in position so the rear of the top moves past the cover hinges and the back of the storage compartment.

If the springs are not attached to the soft top,  the rear of the top will move toward the back of the compartment as soon as the front of the top is lifted. The rear end of the top will not move past the hinges and the front of the top will stop and not move up more than a foot or so. With no springs, the soft top cannot be lifted out of the compartment by pulling up the front of the top.

If the springs are not on the soft top, to get the top out you must reach behind and under the soft top with one hand lifting and holding the back end of the top tight against the rest of the top guiding it past the hinges while pulling up the front of the top with the other hand.

The "two hand lift", one under the rear and the other pulling up the front, is quite awkward and not much fun when trying to get the top up in a sudden rain shower.  Having the springs on the top allows the one hand, easy lift.

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

dtuttle123

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 09:51:31 »
Agree with Richard's comment below - but honestly - it's not that hard to do with out the springs. 

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 12:21:19 »
i understand now. I never pull my top up from just the top part anyway. I place my hands under  top under the hinge and pull the top up. One side, then go to the other side. If I try to pull the top up by just to top part, it has fallen down under the hinges before. Knowing all of this, I think I'm going to leave the springs off and seee how it works. I don't like the noise they make sometimes when in low gear (a distinct w-113 vibration). I hate that spring noise.
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

Witt

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 22:49:34 »
.....removed those springs years ago, did not like the way the prevent the top from folding all the way, always kept some upward tension on it.
Never missed them, never any problems. The rear bow of the ST mechanism will snap securely into place when raising it before lowering the top, keeping it in place also when raising the top again.
While I was at it I also removed the Chrome L-shaped brackets, make raising the top much easier. Has worked for me for the last seven years !

CHEERS !
WITT !

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 23:58:37 »
Wiit,
Could you post a photo of the well showing your bracket-less soft top please?
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Witt

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 04:41:47 »
........hmmmmm, glad to oblige, but it may have to wait since I allready installed the hard top....but there is really not much to see.....except no springs and no chrome L-shaped levers....

CHEERS !
WITT !