Author Topic: shift boot to carpet disc  (Read 4036 times)

dakman29

• Senior
  • USA, WA, Spokane
shift boot to carpet disc
« on: November 01, 2010, 16:35:32 »
I have not described the part I'm looking for very accurately, but what I need is the disc or ring that glues to the carpet and closes the gap over the bottom of the shift boot.  SLS in Germany says the part is no longer available.  I have a call in to the Classic Center in Irvine but thought I'd check here if anyone knows a source.  The part I'm looking for is shown as #19 on the attached picture.  Thanks.

http://www.sls-hh-shop.de/index.php/cat/c3_Mercedes-Benz-230SL-250SL-280SL-Pagoda--R113-W113-.html#cat_65

Sorry:  You have to click on the diagram that includes the shift boot then click again on the portion with the boot, then you'll see part # 19
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 16:42:48 by dakman29 »

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: shift boot to carpet disc
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 17:49:08 »
Its an A 111 997 1081 and was available until recently.
Hopefully you can find a dealer who has one on the shelf.

Naj
68 280SL

dakman29

• Senior
  • USA, WA, Spokane
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 19:42:59 »
Naj:  Thanks very much for the part number.  I've spoken to the Classic Center and they have that part.  The interesting thing is that the original boot in my car was set up differently.  The boot itself did not attach to the plate underneath, but attached directly to the carpet, appears to be glued down.  If the ring that they have at the Classic Center fills the hole and all fits together, I have no problem in using that setup.  Thanks again.  Don

hauser

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 20:09:26 »
After reading this post I immediately called the Classic Center to order one for my car.  They have been discontinued and don't have any more in stock. >:(

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 20:42:23 »
Hi, Don,

The ring is like a grommet, split round the outside and fits in the carpet hole.
The inner diameter fits snugly round the gear lever boot. No glueing necessary.

Hauser:
Going by the parts list, these were only used on the early cars upto 043 001092.

Naj
68 280SL

hauser

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 21:55:26 »
Naj, it is my understanding that the factory at times ran out of these and used vinyl trim sewn into the carpet?  Is there any truth to this?  The first MB on Motoring Investments is a '71 which appears original has the rubber ring around the shift boot.   Now I'm totally confused! ???

Possible replacements could be a correct size grommet or perhaps a door edge guard providing it will bend into a circle.

Bob's 230sl has the GAHH squareweave carpet with a very nice almost stock looking trim sewn into the carpet.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 03:01:14 by hauser »

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 23:02:58 »
Naj, it is my understanding that the factory at times ran out of these and used vinyl trim sewn into the carpet?  Is there any truth to this?  The first MB on Motoring Investments is a '71 which appears original has the rubber ring around the shift boot.   Now I'm totally confused! Huh

Hello Hauser,
Now I really think Naj is correct (as usual). :)
Please don't look for any fancy fully restored 1971s, look at Brian's white 1969 280 California.
I have attached one of his pics here.
It can be clearly seen that the outer ring is stuck/pressed/welded to the carpet like on the Automatic cars. This was the same on other original preserved later cars.
It's clearly different from the scenario that Naj states (up to 043 001092)

Best,
Achim
(always trusts Naj - never went wrong with this)
Achim
(Germany)