Author Topic: Cluch cannot be adjusted  (Read 2559 times)

dwilli3038

Cluch cannot be adjusted
« on: October 11, 2010, 20:33:55 »
I have installed a new clutch and have rebuilt the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder. After some considerable effort the air is bled out of the system. My problem now is that I cannot seem to adjust the clutch. There is a threaded rod that goes from the slave cylinder to the fork that moves the throwout bearing. When I extend it fully (only a few threads into the nut) with the fork pushed back by hand to move the bearing against the pressure plate, the end of the threaded rod is at least 1/4 inch from the depression in the fork.
Is there a piece that I am missing between the end of the rod and the fork? Or is it possible I placed the throwout bearing in backward.

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
Re: Cluch cannot be adjusted
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 02:27:55 »
I don't think you can install a throw out bearing backwards ( can you?  ??? )

I've seen this problem before.
I removed the threaded rod and made a slightly longer one so the free play would be taken up. I'm thinking maybe your flywheel has a lot of material that's been removed over the years and it's causing everything to be beyond the range of adjustment that you currently have.
If everything gets too worn then the clutch fork will bottom out against the slot in the bell housing when you push the clutch in. This is an extreme case and you'd be looking for another flywheel before it could be fixed properly.

I hogged out some aliminium on a bell housing once just so I could make it work. This was 25 years ago on a 220SEb coupe so maybe that doesn't count too much.......
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC