Author Topic: body work advice  (Read 5904 times)

xcashewx

body work advice
« on: September 28, 2010, 06:27:14 »
ive been putting off getting the body work done for a long while now, and im wondering if the panels can be easily repaired rather than new ones being fitted. im on a rather tight budget and know very little about body/metal work.
*damage is on drivers side only
heres some photos:
the other side:

reggie

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Leeds
Re: body work advice
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 06:54:48 »
New front panel at the very least - no insurance  ???
1969 280 5 speed zf 180g

Stefano Ruggeri

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 13:58:05 »
You're really going to need a front panel at the very least, and I can't say that I like the look of the headlamp bowl either. The chances are that when you try to pull it straight it will split along that rust line if it's as bad as it looks. SL's are very weak at the front unfortunately, so look about half way along the line of the bonnet shut to see if the wing has kinked. You'll probably be alright though because the damage is quite low down. As for the front panel, you don't have to necessarily replace the whole thing, just use what you need. The front panel / front wing / headlight bowl join is a bit of a chore to get right so if the other side is in good, rustfree condition it's best well left alone in my opinion.
Stef
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 14:25:06 by Stefano Ruggeri »

IXLR8

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 18:33:47 »
Hi--

The front panel is actually two panels--an outer and an inner. The outer is about $1,000 and the inner about $150.

I just replaced mine. When I am done with my car, I believe I will garage it in a safety deposit box at the bank.

Joe

dseretakis

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 19:42:53 »
That might be repairable.  Have you had a professional look at it?

xcashewx

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 06:11:50 »
i tried to have some bodyshops look at it, but i dont trust their opinions since they have no SL exp.
heres some more close ups.
the headlight bowl is only rusty where shown , every other part of the panel is strong.

from the top:

top again:

see how the fender bulges a little bit:

also note how the fender is closer than normal to the wheel

« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 06:13:22 by xcashewx »

reggie

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Leeds
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 08:28:35 »
They seem to like there bondo in the USA.  wasnt there a front clip for sale over there a while ago ? Pair of front wings (fenders) and a front panel up to now by the look of things  :-\
1969 280 5 speed zf 180g

RickM

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 13:38:45 »
i tried to have some bodyshops look at it, but i dont trust their opinions since they have no SL exp.

Cashew: A good body man can work on just about any car. While small details unique to the 113 may need to be pointed out (ex Headlight fender notch), there is nothing special about your repair.

If the individual you go to is a talented metal guy who uses quality materials then you're in luck.

Tough part is finding the talent and not a timeclock Bondo junky.

I think I mentioned in another post that there are ways to get quality for less $$. Ask the techs, mechanics, car enthusiast friends of yours if they know of a talented individual. If they do inquire into whether they are willing to do work on the side. Many times they will and have access to the equipment, supplies and know-how to do a high quality job. I have used this approach and it has worked out very well.

(BTW if anyone needs such a contact here in the northern NJ area just let me know)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 13:49:02 by RickM »

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 02:00:34 »
A good metal man wouldn't shy away from that. If that is the original nose find someone who knows what they are doing and beat it straight.  Even on a budget find someone who is good and it will be cheaper than a new set of panels.

fhernand

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 04:39:11 »
If that is the original front clip to the car, I would recommend a good metal man.  A craftsman that can fit ALL the front pieces (lights, grille, chrome moldings, hood, bumpers all of it) on prior to any bondo.  This will assure you that everything fits nicely to the body panels and lines.  If things are not properly fitted, your front end will not look correct...oversized gaps.  Best wishes.  Freddie