Author Topic: Anyone know the W124 E320 Cabrio (early mid 90's)?  (Read 12577 times)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Anyone know the W124 E320 Cabrio (early mid 90's)?
« on: September 22, 2010, 18:56:13 »
The only thing that marred the recent and excellent European Event was that I was unable to bring my family in the Pagoda. After much chatting during the weekend, several people mentioned that I may be better off with a E320 W124 convertible.

I've had a look at the car on the net. It's not pretty, but seems functional. However, whilst - like many - I could have a reasonable go at advising a Potential Pagoda Purchaser, I know not a thing about the W124.

I would be grateful if anyone out there that knows these cars could offer some advice on what they're like, what to look for, what's good/bad, which to avoid, what year the quality dropped, etc. You get the idea. Anything at all is better than nothing.

Grateful to hear what you think.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

IXLR8

Re: Anyone know the W124 E320 Cabrio (early mid 90's)?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 23:59:40 »
My sister-in-law had one for a while. The 320 is better than the earlier 300.

A bit homely, yes, but that's helps as far as theft is concerned.

I understand that it was the last of the "coach-built" cars that MB did. All the more recent models are much more assembly-line products.

In the US, they were about $55,000 new, and I see a fair number of drivers with relatively low miles at about $15,000 to $20,000.

Joe

hauser

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 00:05:53 »
I had the coupe version.  It was faster than an sl 320 which shared the same engine since the coupe was lighter.  My complaints were the A/C system was quite load and what's up with that small outside mirror?  I've been told the mechanism to the soft top can set you back quite a few bucks when repairs are needed.

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 15:57:47 »
James

I can put you in touch with a chap in Reading who knows all there is to know about the 124. Not quite bulletproof but as mentioned above, widely considered to be among the last "proper" engineered MBs yet still in the realms of spanner mechanics rather than computer diagnostics. However, you can get some luxuries like leather, heated/electric memory seats, A/C or climate control, depending on the options

They go a bit rusty on the arches (my 202 is the same). They had a facelift in about 1994 - so a 320CE is pre-facelift and an E320 is post....

The engine side wiring harness is insulated with biodegradeable material. I kid you not. Mine went on the 202 and fried the ECU. You'd want to make sure that's been done. Wiper mechs can be pricey (it's the single swipe)

MB club reckon there were fewer than 600 320 cabs made for the UK market so not exactly a common car - rarer in Sportline (different chassis, suspension, brakes and wheels) which was an option.

This may help you with basic info
http://www.w124.co.uk/info.html

My 202 is from 1995 and so the same era and it's quiet, comfy, fast, gives me 31mpg, and is pretty cheap to run (ECU aside). The w124 cabs, to me, are a very elegant and classy motor. But then I like the wagons too. ???

http://www.ccbenz.co.uk/30621/94837.html
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 16:01:36 by Tosh »
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

AGT

• Senior
  • Scotland, Midlothian, Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 15:43:51 »
James

I had an E320 coupe from 1994 to 99 and I have often been sorry that I sold it. It was fast, stylish, not too big for the city and really well built. I only did 36,000 miles but had zero problems in five years.

They were absurdly expensive new and almost everything was extra. I can't remember what I paid but I can remember that it depreciated by £30,000 in five years or by about £1 per mile! When I sold it in 1999 the CLK had not long arrived and classic status for the E coupe was a long way off.

I would definitely look for a post facelift model with the E prefix rather than the CE suffix. Pre-facelift cars have plastic cladding at the bottom of the doors which fades and must be a rust trap. It is also worth finding a 5 speed auto (it was extra - a 4speed auto was standard) as it is a thirsty chap at the best of times.

It is a bit rolly although I loved the way that the front of the car rose under hard acceleration. There was a Sportline edition (again extra) which might tie everything down a bit better. There might though be a bit of added scuttle shake.

Problems as Tosh says - rust and wiring loom.

Have a think about the coupe instead of the convertible. They are a lot cheaper and with all the windows down and the sunroof open its still a lot of fresh air and the back seats of the convertible are not really tenable with the roof down out of town.

Regards
Andrew
1966 230SL
Andrew

1966 230SL

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 17:01:33 »
My friend specializes in this wonderful car.  Built like a tank, smooth, quiet, reliable.  This is not a vintage car like the Pagoda, but a more contemporary MB capable of anything today's roads require and many of the modern conveniences.  This car was $80K new and the last of the hand built Mercedes, really four seater coupes that were chopped, reinforced and turned into convertibles on a separate assembly line.  This car is as quiet as a hardtop when buttoned up.

The six cylinder engine is one of the best and most reliable that MB built and was used in many body styles.  They were a bit prone to head gasket leaks, not a big deal.  The other weak area is that over time the wire harness would get brittle and need replacing.

My friend has sold many of these cars and I've driven quite a few of them from practically no miles (13K) to over 100K miles, and they all drive beautifully.  In fact, the one over 100K that he just sold was one of the best driving.

Expect to pay high 30's for low miles (under 20K), lower 30's for mileage 25-50K, and 15-20 for over 100K miles.  If you're really looking for one, I'd suggest giving my friend a call.  His cars are completely gone through by Black Forest, any and all issues, maintenance items and fluids addressed before becoming available for sale.  He has the best looking one I've ever seen (my opinion) in Moon Grey or something like that.  Just an extremely handsome car.

Good luck, it's hard sometimes to believe you can buy this much car for so little money.  We both think that over time they will appreciate like the 111 convertibles.

www.memory-motors.com

He is my friend and I have no financial interest in the company.  I bought my 356C Porsche from him.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 17:05:11 by thelews »
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

bogeyman

• Silver
  • USA, NE, Omaha
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 17:12:31 »
I have a '95 E320 Cabrio with 12K miles.  Black over Parchment.
I love the car, but must confess that I love 124s in general - I also have a 500E and an '87 300TD Wagon, so I may be a bit biased toward that model.  I think it is the best sedan chassis they ever built.
They were very expensive new - mine came in at USD $80K, so there weren't a lot built.
The ride and handling is exemplary for a convertible - no cowl shake or squeaks/rattles at all.  With the top up, you would be hard pressed to believe you were not in a coupe as the top is is insulated and has a full headliner.  A very quiet convertible.
They are roomy, quiet and comfortable, but nothing like driving a pagoda - more the boulevard cruiser type than sports car, but if you have a need for the room but still want an open car, I can't think of a better candidate.
Rick Bogart
1970 280SL Black(040)/Parchment
1969 280SL Silver(180)/Green
1993 500E
1972 350SL
1995 E320 Cabrio