Author Topic: new bosch spark plugs  (Read 5157 times)

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
new bosch spark plugs
« on: September 08, 2010, 00:52:20 »
bosch's new plugs are supposed to create better fuel effeciency and smoother fire. Up to 30% better than conventional plugs. I saw them on speedvision the other night. Has anyone heard if they have plugs for our cars and , has anyone used them?
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
Re: new bosch spark plugs
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 09:44:55 »
No, haven't tried them - are you talking about the ones with four electrodes rather than just one?

Ulf (also curious as I'm about to replace my NKG ones at the next service)

1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper

al_lieffring

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 13:13:16 »
My experience is that modern spark plug designs are made to complement modern engine designs.
Old style spark plugs that match the 1960's technology used to make our cars ane getting harder to find every day. The Champion N9YC that was a popular choice in the 1970's for the pagoda engines now shows up in the catalog listings as "no automotive application"
There is nothing new about multi electrode spark plugs, but when used with the low energy created by the point and condensor ignitions our cars have, they often have little or no benefit, sometimes even produce negative results.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 13:17:15 by al_lieffring »

RickM

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 15:06:08 »
Pretty much following Al's comment, I used to be a fan of the original Bosch platinum plugs but have since reverted back to old style copper type plugs (NGK for the most part).....for older vehicles.

Contrary to popular belief, platinum plugs do foul and, personally, I see no advantage to them.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 15:08:00 by RickM »

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 16:10:41 »
Old style spark plugs that match the 1960's technology used to make our cars ane getting harder to find every day. The Champion N9YC that was a popular choice in the 1970's for the pagoda engines now shows up in the catalog listings as "no automotive application"

With this in mind, it may be a good idea to just stock up on a couple of sets of your favorite spark plugs; they don't take up a lot of space or money, and that's one less item to worry about ...
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

graphic66

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 16:39:12 »
Almost all of the W113's run best with non resistor plugs except for the latest models. All those new style plugs are mostly resistor. My car ran way better with non resistor plugs. Generally if the plug number has an "R" in it it is resistor.

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 22:00:34 »
I have seen 3 instances where a Bosch Platinum plug porcelain insulator has broken dropping bits of porcelain into the cylinder. All three were engines that had an internal coolant leak, bad head gasket etc.  I figured the larger porcelain of the platinum plug couldn't stand the thermal shock. All three also had pretty severe scoring of the cylinder walls in the effected cylinders.

I have seen 4 electrode plugs firing on test fixtures and it's true that if the spark will jump from one electrode to another in a random pattern but my impression was that the reason they developed them was to be able to get 100,000 miles out of a set of plugs.The center electrode wears in 4 spots as opposed to just one.

Back in the seventies I used to race 250cc open Mod snowmobiles. We ran a ton of oil through the engines at 13,000RPM so we were a good test bed for new plug development. I did a dyno sessions with a spark plug company testing many electrode designs and we found the best electrode for power was the tried and true symetrical single electrode. The feeling was that multi electrode plugs had too much in the way of the flame front and actually contributed to an incomplete or uneven burn of fuel.  It a fairly common racing trick to index the spark plugs so the ground electrode is as close to the cylinder wall as possible to keep it out of the flame path.

If anyone likes Champion resistor plugs I suggest measuring the resistance from the terminal nut to bottom of the center electrode of a new set and one that has been run awhile.  Usually around 8,000 ohms new and I have seen 30,000 to 50,000 ohms on plugs with miles on them.  They drop a resistor "Pill" between the terminal nut and the center electrode with no actual connection and over time the resistance builds.

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 01:00:35 »
wow!-good point about broken plug parts going tinto cylinder--------------that's a (I'm screwed) senario!
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red