Author Topic: 280 sl front bumper  (Read 4131 times)

reggie

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Leeds
280 sl front bumper
« on: September 03, 2010, 15:49:12 »
I should be putting my 280 back together next week, i wondered if there is a set space between top of the bumper and under the front panel. I cant believe i had a rear bumper rechromed, and it came back perfect, thats a first, before it looked like somebody had put there foot on it to tie there shoe lace or something, Yes ime getting very fussy with it now. I swore blind i wouldnt too. (pagodaitus)
Reg
1969 280 5 speed zf 180g

reggie

• Associate Member
  • Silver
Re: 280 sl front bumper
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 08:55:32 »
I take it from the silence nobody knows   ???
1969 280 5 speed zf 180g

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 09:30:17 »
To Break the Silence:

The front bumper, as you probably know, is held to the car by attaching to the left and right brackets. The entire setup has some room to position the bumper by moving the pieces within the attaching holes which are larger than bolt size to allow some positioning.

As to a "set" position, not sure. You can look at other cars but the best guide would be to look at vintage photos on the web or maybe in older publications like manuals, stories of testing the car, old racing stories which have photos of the cars in the old days as they came out of the factory.

It is dangerous to be guided by present day cars if you are a perfectionist since many of these cars (like mine) have had the bumper removed and reinstalled without precise positioning.

Here's a photo from a Mercedes ad which might help since at least the Mercedes marketing people thought the look was correct.

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

reggie

• Associate Member
  • Silver
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 17:58:13 »
   Thanks Richard

I have been looking at others - Your picture shows an inconsistant gap too - but maybe thats how it is, I will mount it then play around until ime happy, which is never, always something that can be improved on with me, 
Reg
1969 280 5 speed zf 180g

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 19:46:10 »
Hello Reggie.
Where did you get your bumper re chromed and how much was it?
Eric

reggie

• Associate Member
  • Silver
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 21:21:01 »
Eric

your going to love this- i had the grills behind the front grill powder coated black- and a rear bumper rechromed that had some deep scratches. - £60 cash - yes sixty pounds- the place is called spartan AMF.
When you turn up it dosnt inspire confidence-ex hells angels lookalike springs to mind, but its all perfect-i dont suffer fools gladly, but fair play to them, when i left it with them i said dont give me it back if its not perfect, been there before, the lad said smaller items are easy because they can handle them on the big polisher-but big american bumpers etc they use a hand polisher, thats important to give a good finnish, ive no complaints at all, cant see them having a web site but heres the tel number - 01132723926 - freds mobile 07736131860, i didnt tell them it was a mercedes part or the price goes up
Reg
1969 280 5 speed zf 180g