Author Topic: Failed idle emissions test  (Read 5656 times)

ting

Failed idle emissions test
« on: August 31, 2010, 03:27:10 »
Hi, newbie here and this is my first post.

I'm based in Vancouver BC and recently imported a fully restored '71 280SL from a reputable dealer in San Diego.  Being more than 25 years old qualifies the car to have historic plates.  But the car still has to pass the idle emissions test first to qualify which regrettably it failed miserably.  We call it AirCare Vehicle Inspection Report here in BC.

Is this something easily rectified?  Has anyone ever done this before and what are the standards for other states/provinces?

I can smell mixture is quite rich.  Can anyone recommend a reputable shop in Vancouver area?

Figures as follow:
Hydrocarbons ppm:  allowable 1004, average 202, my reading 1987
Carbon monoxide %:  allowable 5.15, average 2.32, my reading 9.99

Thanks in advance.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Failed idle emissions test
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 12:11:31 »
ting,

Sounds like your FI pump and linkages could use a once over to set up properly.  If done by a "reputable shop" in San Diego, perhaps he should have known better.  I believe the procedures are in our Tech Manual but you may have to be a full member to access.

The generally runs on the rich side anyway, and very rich at cold idle while the cold start injector is engaged.  I sure hope they let the car warm up first.

BTW must sensible states here waive any kind of emissions testing for "antique" vehicles.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 20:04:44 »
The carbon monoxide, if defined/measured the same in Canada as in The Netherlands, should be adjustable down to 3 or 4%, at least that is what I am able to do with my car. If that is not possible with simple adjustments, then more significant actions are in order. Like Michael wrote, all the necessary information is on this site, and a good shop should have little dificulties in rectifying these issues. Car will probably run better after that to boot. We have a lot of Canadian members, so it should just be a matter of time until some tips come in. Good luck!
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

ting

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 02:23:11 »
Thanks guys for the quick reply.  HOw do I become a full member?

I bought the car from Motoring Investments last March 2010 and it was advertised having 66,000 miles only.  Cosmetically it is very good but I was disheartened when the emissions test came out.  Driving around with historic plates add to the feel good factor + insurance rates is only about a third.

In BC, antique cars only have to pass the idle test so I think that is a form of waiver already.

I'm not mechanically adept so would really prefer a shop to do it, preferably one that can test emissions in real time while they adjust the mixture.

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 02:41:02 »
Just follow the instructions at the bottom of this page: http://www.sl113.org/membership.html
And welcome aboard!
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 08:43:33 »
The linkage is a tricky thing to fiddle around with, how about first changing the air filter, the spark plugs and have the timing and valves set correctly? That shouldn't take much more than a hour and perhaps your mechanic has an emissions tester to see if there's any improvement.
If this doesn't work, do the linkage tour!

Ulf
1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper