Author Topic: My First Mercedes 230SL Restoration.. Exciting!  (Read 56785 times)

fhernand

Re: My First Mercedes 230SL Restoration.. Exciting!
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2010, 14:24:51 »
Here is a sample of a top-shelf two part base-coat clear coat system...Glasurit water 90-Line and Glasurit high solid clear. I must continue to give this product two thumbs up...way up! Silver metallic is by far the most difficult color to spray in my book due to the challenges in laying down the metallic’s without running them or, having the metallic’s lay down uneven. The 90-line product was a pleasure to spray. The top coat clear layed down like butter. Super high solids making an excellent resistance to weathering and yellowing. Great gloss and holdout.....okay enough, I sound like a Glasurit rep. If you are considering having your car painted, I recommend this system. High cost for this stuff but well worth the pennies.

The project was a bare metal paint restoration. One challenge in the project was closing the gap on the 72 oil filler flap. Most of the these lids come with enormous gaps that do not match any of the other gaps. So, we close the gap to 3-4 mm to match that of the doors. Also, when stripping the paint down to metal, I found rust webs forming behind the primer. Basically, moisture finds it’s way right down to the metal. After scoring the metal with 80 grit, I applied a metal cleaner and conditioner and two coats of epoxy primer this car will never see rust again.   

[

bogeyman

• Silver
  • USA, NE, Omaha
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2010, 14:40:12 »
I think I like the "in the raw" picture better than the finished product.
Beautiful job.
Rick Bogart
1970 280SL Black(040)/Parchment
1969 280SL Silver(180)/Green
1993 500E
1972 350SL
1995 E320 Cabrio

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2010, 16:33:48 »
Very nice, but we're still waiting for the pics of the finished white Pagoda  ;D
1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper

fhernand

« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2010, 23:56:39 »
Finished pictures soon to come my friend.  I likened having a nice painted set of wheels and covers to wearing a good clean shined Allen Edmond shoes...it completes the ensemble.  Here is the process I used on the wheels and covers.  With the wheels, having them media blasted and well protected with epoxy goes a long way.  I recommend using a urethane single stage paint.  On the covers, I used three widths of tape 3/4 1/4 and 2 1/2 inch.  Use good tape like 3M anything else will cause bleed through and will not give you a nice clean sharp edge when you pull the tape off.  It's a process that takes time to get the tape exactly in position.  Once I had the lines down where desired, I used a red scotch pad to sand the chrome finish.  I use a stick to help me get to the edges.  The covers should look dull in appearance once sanded.  I ONLY use metal itch primer on properly sanded chrome.  Two light coats is all it really needs...the primer covers rapidly.  You do not want to put down lots of material since this will only make for a thick edge when pulling of the tape.  A thick edge will make the paint susceptible to chipping.  I normally pull the tape off when paint has cured.  I use a sharp blade to follow the edges of the tape and then gently pull the tape away from the painted edge. 

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2010, 01:13:40 »
Outstanding work!

Thanks, Freddy, for sharing your great skills with us.
That really looks terrific.
The Porsche looks fantastic too, I highly admire that (car and craftsmanship).

Please keep us updated.

Thanks
Achim
Achim
(Germany)

fhernand

« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2010, 16:30:56 »
Thank you Mark for letting be part of your cars history.  Here are the final pictures of Mark's 230sl.  Other than a new front bumper, hood badge..etc., the car is 95% done.  It's amazing how clean the final product can look when I can start with a clean canvas...taking the car down to metal.  I look forward to the time when I can do a second SL and strive to perfect the restoration process on these sexy cars.  Enjoy the before/after pictures.  Freddie

reggie

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Leeds
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2010, 17:13:55 »
WOW -  Freddie
I have been waiting for them, Thats a nice job, Well done. Treat it to some stainless wiper blades though -  ;)
You are a talented man
1969 280 5 speed zf 180g

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2010, 08:29:48 »
If you don't mind, those pics a going right on my "motivational screensaver" - when I haven't worked for 5 minutes, it starts automatically and reminds me that I need to make some money to keep my Pagoda running ;D
Beautiful work!

Ulf
1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper

fhernand

« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2011, 18:47:50 »
I have recieved all the chrome pieces and window seals for the hardtop and will be installing this week.  However, I have a question, I'm trying to figure out how much of the rear lower side of the inside is upholstered...I'm talking the frame work on the lower part of the inside rear window area?  Any pictures would greatly appreicated.  Thank you in advance for your help.  Freddie

fhernand

« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2011, 19:06:22 »
Here is a picture of the area.  I have marked in black the lower area that I believe also gets upholstered in vinyl as the headliner??

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2011, 19:19:40 »
If it helps, mine is upholstered/leather in those areas - not headliner bu seat leather
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2011, 20:06:45 »
Here is a picture of the area.  I have marked in black the lower area that I believe also gets upholstered in vinyl as the headliner??
Upholstered in the same material as your interior. (either MB Tex or Leather). I posted a picture in this same category "Body, Interior, Paint, etc" under the topic "Got Wood?". Might be of help.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

fhernand

« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2011, 01:31:54 »
Thank you for the help.

Bob G

« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2011, 10:10:44 »
Did you by Chance take any photo of he  two foil tagsand thei position before you started disassemble. The
ones I need pictures of are the silver foil soft top instructions in the softtop  boot and the blue  foll  loading label on the Left lip pf the truck edge. If o can you send me some pictures please. It is very important  to me.

Warm Regards
Bob Geco
RWGintl@yahoo.com
310-830-8337 day cell phone
563-429-7944 please lease your contact number you can be reached at.
 Thank You!