Author Topic: New Bumpers, Repro vs OE  (Read 14898 times)

113gray

New Bumpers, Repro vs OE
« on: March 24, 2004, 10:44:25 »
*** NEW Front Bumper Set ***
This is for all 230SL, 250SL, and 280SL's (113 Chassis).  
The set includes both sides and the center joint cover.  
All three pieces are now on sale for $649.00.  They are
beautiful reproductions and will save you over 50%
off the cost of OE. Our part number is 88-2100.

Hi Group: The above ad from Miller's, an old line parts supplier. As one considering replacing mine, I'm interested in your thoughts. Would you use them or insist on buying new or repairing, replating the old ones? Miller's reputation? TIA     -JP-

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: New Bumpers, Repro vs OE
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 13:38:20 »
I bought one from Essen Last year. Seems like the base is stainless steel with chromed outer. Fits perfect. Only thing I needed was 4 3/8 inch UNC bolts to fit the captive nuts for the bumper irons!
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

113gray

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 08:25:25 »
Hi Naj- I would think chrome over stainless that fits perfectly is very good quality. Not sure those in question are that good; but at least it is possible to get good aftermarket chrome. Thanks for the info.    -JP-

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 10:07:37 »
Miller's is a very reputable parts supplier.

Another option is to get a quality rechrome if the bumpers are in good shape (except for chrome). That's what I did. 400.

Good luck

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Bob G

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 17:06:59 »
Reproduction parts are starting to appear and Daimler/Chrysler is lowering some prices on some items for the Pagoda SL. One of our members just purchased a new Barrel & Star unit for his chrome grill for $100 less than last year's mark up.

With the influx of after-market parts it could be a signal to wait and see if Daimler/Chrysler will begin to compete against the tide of after-market part sources. I would rather have German quality than a look-a-like lesser quality part. The quality and hasty decision to cut costs will come back to bite when the car is up for sale.

Orginal factory parts are warranted to work and have standards that have been set way beyond looking like a factory part. Remember you get what you pay for. There is no warranty or standards with none OEM parts for your Mercedes-Benz.

Bob Geco
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 18:07:20 by Bob G »

n/a

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 17:53:58 »
New bumpers from MB :
front $724.35 each
rear $535.75 each

tom in CA

113gray

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 14:27:37 »
Tom, Bob & James- Thanks for the input. Re Bob's comments, I agree in principle, particularly if Tom Hanson's quote of $725 is for the 3 piece set is accurate(is that correct, Tom?). If so, that's a reasonable surcharge to pay for the "real McCoy". I also appreciated James' info on rechroming. My current bumpers are not bad, but chrome is fading & there are a few dings & a couple of tablespoon sized dents as well. I'm thinking that with the additional metal work required, a decent chrome job will likely be as expensive as replacement. There's also shipping back & forth to consider & likely several weeks wait with no bumpers. But I'll wait to get clarification on cost from Tom Hanson before deciding. I appreciate the help.    -JP-
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 14:29:46 by 113gray »

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2004, 00:54:51 »
I should let Tom reply for himself, but I'm almost positive that his quote refers to only one of the two sections you will need. Here in the Netherlands a complete OEM front bumper (left and right section, plus middle cover plate) runs about Euro 1,550 which at today's exchange rate is close to $ 2,000, and that's without any sales tax!
Makes me wonder whether the price from Miller's really covers all three pieces.

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 00:55:47 by cees klumper »
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

113gray

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2004, 08:52:45 »
Cees- Regarding Tom's prices, those were my suspicions as well. Regarding Miller's description, it is taken verbatim from thier ad & I would expect the price is for all 3 pieces as stated. If the MB prices are in the ballpark & Miller's are also, that is a heck of a difference & I am not sure it is justified for my "driver/garage queen". I hope this thread will produce more commentary, particularly regarding purchasing experiences with Miller's & evaluation of them as retailers.        -JP-

Bob G

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2004, 13:19:11 »
If you read tom Hanson's post carefully I beleive he quoted $724.35 front each side and $535.74 rear each side. My concern in my last post had to do more with the quality and fit and finish of the reproduction bumper from Millers than the price. If we are indeed comparing apples to apples than it would make sense to save money unless this is a concours car by which no means would I spare the expense of genuine Factory replacement parts.
I do  know that Daimler/chysler trys to stay in  touch with many of it's classic car  owners,I have heard it expressed at Star Tech that a 35 year old part was too expensive, but then it lasted 35 years so how do you justify price for quality and the fact that it was still availible at a local Mercedes-Benz parts dealer. You will not fine that if you drive exotic cars like Ferrari and Masserati, or even a 1987 Ford Mustang.

Bob Geco
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 13:24:30 by Bob G »

RickInTex

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 07:38:41 »
Thought I'd put in my 2 cents in this old thread.  I just received and installed the Miller's repro front bumpers.  My sense is that from five+ feet away, they're indistinguishable from OEM.  Closer up, slight waviness is evident in the chrome here and there.  But they are solid and heavy, and the price difference from OEM is substantial.  As stated in another posting, I believe, original mounting bolts will  fit.  You'll need 5/8" bolts.  And unless the original mounting brackets on your car are perfectly aligned, you'll need to fiddle with these to get proper alignment.  
But for a couple hours' work, a huge difference in the front appearance of my car.  Only complaint: makes me feel as though the grill needs replacement, and on that score, it sounds like repros are not recommended.

Rick
Dallas TX
1967 250SL, 4-speed

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 08:24:59 »
If you're OK with repro buy this and save another $300.00

I'm sure Tom's price is for each 1/2 segment  :?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2F7992453545_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8QQfviZ1&item=7992453545

naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 08:26:14 by naj »
68 280SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 08:59:51 »
Miller's of course, has a fine reputation.  Mike Ochoa is one of the best.  My guess is that the bumpers are from eastern Europe, India or China...

It will cost you somewhat more then $649 simply to rechrome all the bumpers.  In 2001, I paid about $1,100 to repair (get rid of the dings)and rechrome all my bumpers including the [oft-maligned] overriders.  So repair and rechrome is not an inexpensive option.

One thing my restorer told me, is that for appearance's sake, you can't do "half" a chrome job.  So, if you rechrome your bumpers or buy new or repro, they will look spectacular, and contrast that with the rest of your chrome which might now begin to look pretty shabby.

If you don't have a show car, buy the repros and save.  And get out that metal polish for the REST of your trim :D !

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

pablo_o2

• Senior
  • Belgium, Flanders, Zoersel
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 13:04:07 »
http://capitolwest.comhttp://http://capitolwest.comhttp://These guys also sell repro's for a very reasonable price

Paul Haems
'68 280SL

enochbell

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 15:34:52 »
I just have to weigh in here, I had a lousy experience with aftermarket chrome.  First disclaimer: there might be more than one fabricator (in China, Mexico, wherever) so my experience may not be representative.  Second disclaimer: I bought my surround about 3 years ago, there may be much better stuff out there now.

I bought an aftermarket surround and it was worthless.  It did not fit, not even close.  The chrome was thin as a couple of microns, and even if it had fit it would not have lasted.  In the three years it sat in my basement it developed the beginnings of pit marks.  In a dry basement.  My front end has never been hit, and the assembly (original, used, expensive) fit perfectly.  And the chrome is still very nice.

So I would just be very careful.  My 2 cents.

Greg

'64 230sl, fully sorted out...ooops, spoke too soon

TA250SL

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005, 22:00:16 »
I also tried a repro grill surround while my original was out for a 3 month replating job.  It also didn't fit, primarily at the front nose, which had a tighter radius than the sheet metal and left a 1/4" gap!   Also, the thin plating was already peeling near the mounting holes.  My advice...go for an original.

Tom
1967 250SL
Los Angeles

RickInTex

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2005, 08:33:02 »
Probably unnecessary clarification:  I should have written below that original mounting bolts will NOT fit the Miller's repro bumpers--5/8" bolts needed.

Rick
Dallas TX
1967 250SL, 4-speed

n/a

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2005, 23:02:53 »
Speaking of bumpers and bolts...

How might one be able to tell if the front bumper on a 1964 230SL is original?

Just wondering after my day of inspecting a possible purchase.

Thanks,

Steve from Atlanta
Hunting in Boston

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2005, 06:08:52 »
Merely a suggestion: when replacing your bumpers, use stainless hardware.  You'll never regret it.

If the inside of the bumper from a 1964 appears a bit rusty, it might be original.  The repro bumpers are fairly new, and thus would not have a lot of rust on them.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2005, 18:48:28 »
Does anyone know how to tell if a grill is original or a reproduction? I'm looking to buy a used one, and the seller says it came off a car, but isn't sure if its original or a reproduction.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

WAQAS in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

norton

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2005, 08:07:34 »
Waqas Here's another thread about grill frames
http://sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=4446

Mike Halleck
Chesterfield Mi
71 280SL
68 250SL (parts car)
94 E320 Coupe

waqas

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2005, 15:09:41 »
Mike, funny how my search didn't yield that thread. Anyway, thanks!
(I guess the answer is: one needs to personally inspect the grille, whilst having knowledge of the various types)

WAQAS in Austin, Texas
Waqas (Wa-kaas) in Austin, Texas

113gray

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2005, 19:20:53 »
In seeing this thread again, it appears I have not provided follow-up. I did buy the Miller repro bumpers and after using them about 1 1/2 years am very satisfied with fit, quality & value. The chrome does have tiny imperfections visible on very close inspection, but is more than adequate for anything less than a "show" vehicle. I don't think I could have had my originals rechromed for that sale price with as good a result.    -JP-