Author Topic: Procedure for Soft Top Frame Installation  (Read 3937 times)

sctripp

Procedure for Soft Top Frame Installation
« on: June 26, 2010, 21:12:25 »
What is the proper procedure for installation of a frame complete with new material top. I have it in place with the 4 hold-down bolts installed but not tightened.
Thanks, Stan

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: Procedure for Soft Top Frame Installation
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 22:02:34 »
Stan,

If I understand, you've got a frame with a new top, but haven't yet secured the frame, is that correct?

If so, I think you may find you've done things slightly arse about face. The perceived wisdom is to secure the frame as best one can so that the seals align with the doors, etc, then fit the fabric. After that, it's a matter of playing around with things.

I would thought, though, that you could put the fabric on the frame and then install the frame, but my concern (having done this before) would be that unless ones 'glues' ones fabric to a taught frame, you'll never get the thing to fit properly, since tension - everywhere - seems to play a role in getting everything to fit properly.

Can you give some more info on your situation?

Also, do a search under soft top. I've post a few hundred photos on fitting the thing, albeit to an already fitted frame.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

hauser

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 05:17:10 »
It's too late now but the best way was to mark where the frame was secured prior to removal.  You will also have to consider the spacers.  How many you will need if any.  The windows should be adjusted to the hardtop fit not the other way around.  It's very time consuming adjusting the frame to where it's just right.  Don't rush through it.  If you get frustrated try the next day.  Eventually you'll find the sweet spot.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 09:04:57 »
It is true - so they say - that the windows should be adjusted to the hard top. In effect, though, that means that my hardtop with perfectly aligned windows sits on its stand, whilst my soft top - always on the car - is misaligned and not great on the 2 or 3 times I've been caught in the rain.

When I do this again I'm going to align to the softtop because I never use the hard top.

Stan - if you've taken out the shims under the 4 securing bolts, note that the new top will almost certainly fit differently, so you don't need to kill yourself trying to put everything back as it was. I had about 5mm of shims and 3mm under my left and right sides. With the new top on I don't have any.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 18:26:28 »
Quote from: jameshoward
...the windows should be adjusted to the hard top. In effect, though, that means that my hardtop with perfectly aligned windows sits on its stand, whilst my soft top - always on the car - is misaligned../..
Of course, James H has done a great job of documenting the soft top installation procedure. See thread:
http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=12179.0

There are a number of adjustment possibilities on the soft top frame, so that the metal parts on top and rear of side windows (the ones onto which the window rubber seals are mounted) can be mounted so that they snugly fit, and seal, the side windows. File up oblong holes in metal strips that hold rubber seals, and add shims behind them are two tricks. Shims under the frame mounting points each side has been discussed elsewhere, also a useful adjusting possibility

Note: Above the metal parts around the side windows, there is a foam seal and a tensioning wire each side. These need to be in good order or else a gap, causing wind noise and water seeping in, will present itself there.

A procedure if you wish to use both your tops, soft and hard, is then to: Mount hard top. Take off inner door skins and adjust the side windows so they seal and are snug in the hard top. Remove H/T, fold soft top frame up. Adjust soft top frame so that it fits snugly onto the side windows.
If you change your soft top fabric, this is a golden opportunity to perform the above. Adjust the frame only first, then fit the soft top fabric
/Hans in Sweden
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 11:01:16 by mbzse »
/Hans S

IXLR8

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 21:51:54 »
Hans' last sentence is THE most important!

Adjust the soft top frame first, then add the fabric.

Thanks, Hans.

Great suggestion.

Joe