Author Topic: Hardtop center alignment pin  (Read 3112 times)

Rolland

Hardtop center alignment pin
« on: May 25, 2010, 03:59:34 »
I'm looking for information on the center pin which my hardtop is missing. I have searched the techical manual and forum and haven't come up with anything.  I'm told all hard tops should have them.  Based on what I see on my soft top, a friend who is a machinist can make one.  If anyone has one on their hard top I would love to see a picture.  I'm looking to see if it is the same pattern as the one on the soft top. Thanks,

Rolland

Jim Donati

Re: Hardtop center alignment pin
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 07:40:14 »
Rolland:
Here are a couple of pictures of my 1970 280SL hardtop that I just removed and hung in my garage.  As you can see there is NO center pin like on the softtop.  The hardtop is secured to the rear of the car by means of the two side locking levers, whereas the softtop only utilizes a center locking pin to secure the rear portion.  In either case the front is secured using the two locks at the top of the winshield.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Jim

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 07:57:41 »
107 hard tops have a center pin but not 113s.

naj
68 280SL

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 20:46:13 »
Hello Naj,
I seem to remember a few months ago that a member of the UK Mercedes Benz - Club had this feature.
It seems to be a very good and easy modification to make.
Not for the purists, but makes for a more positive draught free and leak proof assembly.
Eric

Rolland

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 04:36:44 »
Jim, Naj & Eric, thanks to you all for helping, the photos Jim proved were great.  I searched many photos, ebay, etc to see what might have been oem but never found one with a pin. I really questioned in my mind if the center pin for a hardtop was needed since there are the 4 latching points already.  That being said, MB must have thought it necessary since they are on the 207's.  Thanks again for the help!

Rolland