Author Topic: Door Handle Disassembly  (Read 3948 times)

Rolland

Door Handle Disassembly
« on: May 19, 2010, 04:21:35 »
I'm looking to disassemble both door handles to send the body to be rechromed.  Removed the snap ring, inserted the key, but no luck on removing the tumblers.  Thanks in advance!

Rolland

waltklatt

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA
Re: Door Handle Disassembly
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 11:19:31 »
Rolland,
Remove the snap ring, the large one at the back of the handle.  Then out comes a large metal washer with tabs that slide in the 3 grooves on the handle.
Then a large spring will come out and then push the lock knob out from the front out the back.  Then the handle is ready for the plater.
Walter
1967 220SL-heaterbox and A/C combo retrofit is nearly done.

bpossel

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 12:13:31 »
Rolland,

Please take a few pictures while you are taking the handle apart.
I will then add them and Walters notes to the manual.
Thanks!
Bob

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 19:16:43 »
Note, best to go and check how much the rechrome on the handles are.  New ones are available...when I did mine, new ones were about $125 each and that was what just a bit more than rechrome of a "perfect" body.  If you have serious pitting on the pot metal, time to think about the best course of actions.  Of course the new handles now are probably 2x as much, but then again chrome plating hasn't stayed the same, either!
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Rolland

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 22:48:19 »
The saga continues and thanks for the help.  Got the snap ring off, then washer and spring, unscrewed the end  and in no time, had the tumbler removed, but still have the part you push with your thumb still attached.  I'm just not sure if this is normal or not, so thought I'd post and see what might be known.  Once the tumbler was out, the rest just won't budge.  Even tapped gently with a small hammer, but no luck, so have left well enough alone until I get more info.  I do have photos of the progress so far.  Also, I have checked on new handles from the Classic Center, they are about $268 each, so you are right, the price has about doubled.

Rolland

Rolland

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 20:05:03 »
We may have success, there appears to be two snap rings, one easily seen, one a bit hidden. The easy one gets the tumbler removed, then upon cleaning things a bit, we could see the one holding in the thumb latch.  That one is a bit more of a challenge to remove as it doesn't have the holes in the ring to use a snap ring plier.  Tried best I could to remove it, but noting having enough hands next trip to the tool store for some soft jaws for the vise I have.  Hopefully that will do the trick.  One question, once done to get the info and photos for the technical manual, what is the best way to do that?  Post to this topic, or send emails and attachements to a moderator. 

Rolland