Author Topic: Will the Wiki/Technical Manual kill the forum?  (Read 7505 times)

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
Will the Wiki/Technical Manual kill the forum?
« on: April 30, 2010, 14:29:09 »
Thanks Naj,

Actually the technical manual is the first place I started, I got the red coil info from there and inquired with a parts vendor who told me it did not show as the correct coil for my car??  which then had me worried so I did some further searching and ended up contacting Brooklyn Motor Werkes at Hauser's suggestion, I guess the long story short is the Tech manual was correct to start with in this case but I suppose it never hurts to be sure and check around a little ....(yes most parts vendors don't know our car well enough to answer accurately all the time)

Interestingly When I just did searching outside this site (on yahoo) it brought up an old post of yours with all the info I needed to begin with so maybe the moral to the story is when searching for info on this forum don't just use the search tool on the forum pages try an outside search engine as well.

I suspect almost every question or problem  has been asked or discussed at one point or another....Of course if everybody just searches all the time and never asks questions even if they have already been answered it could get kind of quiet around here, and maybe a little boring...

Is this any help?

http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/IgnitionCoil

naj
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 14:43:11 by Mark280SL »
Mark

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 07:42:13 »
Thanks Naj,

I suspect almost every question or problem  has been asked or discussed at one point or another....Of course if everybody just searches all the time and never asks questions even if they have already been answered it could get kind of quiet around here, and maybe a little boring...

Hi, Mark,

JA did warn us about this point earlier when the wiki was started.

So, where do we stop?

naj
68 280SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 17:12:22 »
When Joe raised this point (the Wiki might kill the forum) I was never worried. People will not search - as a rule. They'll ask questions first. Secondly we're a helpful community and like "showing off our knowledge".  On many computer forums when people ask questions that have been answered before they get as an answer RTFM (if you don't know what that means google for it) or they are called NOOBs and are slagged off for daring to post a question before doing some research themselves.

I've never seen that happen here. So we just keep answering the same questions over and over again - or more accurately, we get better at explaining things, and we have more clarifying photographs. The Wiki is there to collect the correct information in a decisive manner, without all of the social chitchat and "forum noise" -- and even on "old" topics, the forums still collect more useful information that should be added to the Wiki/Technical Manual. Trust me, it will not kill the community... it in fact attracts more members.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Will the Wiki/Technical Manual kill the forum?
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 18:37:13 »
I would agree with Peter. I think the group is safe for a while!

One other thing about the manual. It is a written document; there is still a lot of room for interpretation, clarification and misunderstanding. I don't mean that negatively at all. We have a group that is world wide, and English has a lot of nuance and misinterpretation built into it, even American vs UK, so translation etc always comes into play! The further questions (even if they have been covered) lead to new (and hopefully better) ways of presenting the information. A number of times, that means additional photos, which are a HUGE help.

These cars have been tinkered with quite a lot of times over the years and we are always running into new things.

Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 20:28:00 »
It kind of reminds me of my job as a Reference Librarian at the college. Much of my time is spent answering questions, most of which have been asked hundreds of times before (sometimes by the same person  :o ) I could easily dismiss the students by immediately showing them one of our printed handouts on using the library or referring them to the online tutorial/information page found on our website. Without saying two words, I'd be done with them and they could figure it out for themselves. Of course, if they don't get it thereafter, they either give up and go elsewhere -- or come back and ask again -- this time with exasperation...

However, a better model of information exchange, I believe, is to have them ask the first question, me to interpret their individual need, sometimes ask some clarification questions, maybe share an experience or two that will help them understand things. Through this communication, they have a much greater chance of getting the information they need. It's the process of human interaction that makes learning something larger than the sum of all its parts (or something like that!)

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 20:30:00 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 21:13:52 »
"Correction does much, but encouragement does more." (Goethe, I think, though my university notes are in storage so don't quote me).

Also, given that the BBB is the supposed Holy Grail, and given that I have two of them (plus 2 Haynes manuals and two of the other book that is an abridged BBB) how come I still don't know how to do anything? I'd be lost without the forum (and I use the search all the time).

...my two reasons as to why I think the forum will thrive.  (And if you needed proof just look at the most recent posts).
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL