Author Topic: What's in a Star ? - Explanation of Member ratings  (Read 16752 times)

Jim Donati

What's in a Star ? - Explanation of Member ratings
« on: May 02, 2010, 03:42:44 »
What do the different member status ratings mean?   ???

It appears some members have only a few stars (1, 2 or 3) and others have 5.   How do you "earn" or "lose" stars next to your name?

I also see different labels places on Full Members, some of the member levels I have noticed are junior level, Senior, Regular, Silver, and Gold.   Again, what does that mean, or how does the system work?

Thanks

Jim

« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 02:05:38 by Donati »

hauser

Re: Can I get an explanation of Member ratings?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 07:19:04 »
The number of stars represents the how many posts you have made.  As for the Full Members, you have paid your annual dues.  The rest I'm not so sure?

Jim Donati

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 17:04:47 »
OK, thanks for providing that information. 
I see that you are Gold, whereas I am regular.  I have been a full member for about 10 or 11 months. 
 How long have you been a member?   How long have you been gold?

hauser

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 04:18:37 »
Click on the member name to view his or her profile for stats or to send message.

Jim Donati

Re: What's in a Star ? - Explanation of Member ratings
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 02:10:26 »
Still not satisfied with the answers I am getting, so I changed the subjet title of this post.   I hope this is allowed   :-\

;D Hoping I can get additional input to satisfy my curiosity.

Jim
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 04:18:24 by Donati »

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 02:30:42 »
Jim,  I believe hauser is correct about the number of posts.  From what I can figure out, you are a regular until you have 100 posts, then you become a senior.  At around 250 posts you become a silver and probably around 500 you become a gold.  Full members always have 5 stars.  If you are not a member I imagine as your post count goes up so does the number of stars.  When Peter gets back from running around South Africa I'm sure he can give you the correct account.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Jim Donati

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 04:31:07 »
Jordon:
That sounds reasonable enough. 

So you don't have to be over 55 years old to be Silver, or Filthy Rich to become a Gold member?  :P  ;D

I think I now have a better understanding of how members are rated.

Thanks
Jim

paulr

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 10:53:40 »
I heard there are some stars on Ebay. VGC.

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 17:32:14 »
So you don't have to be over 55 years old to be Silver, or Filthy Rich to become a Gold member?  :P  ;D

Maybe not, so all you have to do is make 39 more posts to this string and you too can be a Senior like me. ;D
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 03:38:51 »
Great you started that topic, as now I understand that we will get some sort of post competition :o based on quantity and not quality... like this message I am posting now...
only joking.
I must say that when I decided to join, I did not pay any attention to the status issue, as this was secondary for me.
Nevertheless, I believe that in the membership section, a clear explanation, especially for new members or potential members, would not hurt.
Stan
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 00:30:55 by Flyair »
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 10:08:45 »
Jim,  I believe hauser is correct about the number of posts.  From what I can figure out, you are a regular until you have 100 posts, then you become a senior.  At around 250 posts you become a silver and probably around 500 you become a gold.  Full members always have 5 stars.  If you are not a member I imagine as your post count goes up so does the number of stars.  When Peter gets back from running around South Africa I'm sure he can give you the correct account.

I'm back from the TulpenRallye now (South Africa is November 2010), and the star rating is, as described here, related to your number of posts. It basically shows you who is active a lot on the board as a means of letting you decide who'se opinion you could rate more... very inaccurate of course as I have a lot of posts related mainly due to my time in the club and posting about things like these  ;)

LevelStarsPosts
Junior00-9
Junior110-49
Regular250-99
Senior3100-249
Silver4250-499
Gold5500+

For membership titles we have:

Administrators, Moderators, Vendors, Full Members and Pagoda SL Board members. Someone not in these categories is a Basic member.

Peter

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 07:37:21 by Peter van Es »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 09:17:54 »
I've changed the system somewhat. A platinum level for 1000+ posts with 6 stars is now added.

Moderators, board people, administrators etc now also get the number of stars associated with their posts.

The coloured stars (which were not pretty) have been dropped in favour of the gold ones only.

Category Basic Member as opposed to Full Member is now visible in everyone's profile at each post.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!