Author Topic: Looking for body shop "partner"  (Read 3091 times)

twistedtree

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, MA, Gloucester
Looking for body shop "partner"
« on: April 18, 2010, 11:00:58 »
Over the next year or two I expect to do a full frame-off restoration on one of my boys - most likely the '70 280.  I've done restorations in the past and can do all the mechanical work, but I don't do body work, so I need a "partner" there.  I want to start exploring different shops/people to figure out who I want to work with.

My expectation is that I'll strip the car down to the body, doors, trunk, and hood, and deliver it to someone to replace panels, sand, smooth, prime, and paint.  I'll then take it back and re-assemble.  The job will likely involve replacing some under body panels that have rusted, and perhaps a fender or two, followed by all the usual prep work and paint.

The shop could be located anywhere in New England, and I'd welcome any recommendations.

Thanks
Peter Hayden
1964 MB 230SL
1970 MB 280SL
2011 BMW 550xi

johnshenry

Re: Looking for body shop "partner"
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 13:50:00 »
Can't really help you with a shop rec, but I did basically that with my '57 VW Beetle (10-15 years ago).  See thebugshop.org

I had a friend who owns a body shop do it, but it was tenuous and took a long time and strained our friendship.

The point being, and you may know this already, that basic collision type repair shops don't want/do this kind of work.  Even if you can talk them into it, it might not go too well.  Fact is,  if you are just bringing them parts and they are doing no re-assemble/resto, it really is no different than collision work and panel replacement.  But most often it does not fit their model.  Maybe you can find a smaller shop who will.

But you would be better served with a resto shop, a place that can take the time to produce the result needed.  CB Restorations in Haverhill MA does amazing work, but I think only complete, high end restos.

I have another shop closer to me in Tyngsboro MA that has started doing fab and resto work (Prep-Rite).  They have done sandblasting for me in the past.  I have seen some of their resto work in passing and it looks pretty good.  If you check with them, ask for Dave the owner and tell him I sent you.

I am considering using them for a '51 VW I am doing, but paint is a long was off.

Good luck, maybe see you on the roads in MA sometime.....!!

Shvegel

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, OH, Cleveland Heights
Re: Looking for body shop "partner"
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 13:11:45 »
I am currently doing a huge restoration on my 1970 280 SL. Rick Ollah in Minnesota is doing the work and he is among the best metal fabricators in the business. I am up visiting now and while I was grinding away removing the right side rocker panel assembly he looked at a piece on the cowl and said "I fixed the other one and it will be faster if I just make a new part." So with little more than a hammer and a piece of sheetmetal he bangs out a perfect cowl section in about a half of an hour. 

The neat thing about Rick is he truly enjoys doing what he does. He has listened to what I tell him about correct welds etc(the welds along the upper edges of the front fenders have been held up as evidence of originality) and he has built fixtures and tools so he can spot weld the body back together the way it should be. He has gone so far as to "sharpen" the tips on his spot welders so they will make the same size spot welds as the originals.

The upside is he is really talented. He understands the car and has purchased a Celette frame machine so he can ensure the car is welded back together straight and true and as a bonus he works really cheaply by East Coast standards. The downside is that he has a full time job and gets distracted easily so I am 3 years into this.

Really do a thorough assessment of your body before you start. Replacing the entire rocker assembly is a huge undertaking which involves removing at least the bottom of the fenders and quarter panels. Run your hand along the upper frame member in the front wheelhouse above and inboard the front tire to see if the top of that rail is rotten which means the front fenders and inner structures will need to be changed. Bang around on the inside of the "Frame" rail just behind the rocker panel to see if that is soft and plan on there being way more damage than you expect.  I am in love with my car and have an "It costs what it costs" attitude as well as a don't ask - Don't tell relationship with my wife but there are still days that I wish I would have just ran out and bought another car.

On a final note beware of anyone who has not done a 113 or at least an older Mercedes before. There is no point paying for someone to go old Mercedes restoration school on your car.