Author Topic: USA Pagoda&trip some advices needed  (Read 2991 times)

SLOpagoda

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • Slovenia, Ljubljana, Ljubljana
USA Pagoda&trip some advices needed
« on: April 15, 2010, 21:34:28 »
Hello to everyone, briefly I'll try to introduce myself and my dream plan. I'm Jaka Bernardic, 22 years old student from Slovenia (EU) and I'm really in love with classic cars. About 2 years ago I've restored Triumph Spitfire MK3, but I was allways dreaming about MB Pagoda convertible…
Here is a link to Slovenian site about a part of my restoration process, sorry in slovenian language…= http://www.starodobnik.net/topics/3502

I'm tracking this forum daily and I must say I allready got a lot of useful informations, I've saved my scholarships and salaries for 4 years and now I want to realize my dreams with a Pagoda SL.

I've allready saw plenty of Pagodas that were reachable for me on US websites, but I was allways just too slow, from other side of the world (Slovenia).

That is why I decided I will visit USA with my girlfriend on 20th of June for 2 months, to find a proper SL for me or even make USATRIP with it.

So I'm looking for SL, any year, I don't want a show car, just decent and original driver. I would be very grateful if someone is prepared to give me some help regarding my questions:

1.   Does anyone know for a driveable 230/250/280SL for a fair price?
2.   Is it possible then to register it on my name in USA and drive with it around in USA?
3.   What I need to register a car in USA, is there a way to register it as an antique vehicle?
4.   Do you think that is possible to make a 5000km trip with a Pagoda (of course I would make everyday stops…)
5.   Are there some Mercedes Pagoda events/ Mercedes meetings or even car markets from 20th of june to 20th of August?

Maybe I'll have some more questions, so I will post more of them... ::)

Thanks to all that would be prepared to asnwer and help me allready in further and sorry for my language.
 ::)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 21:36:33 by SLOpagoda »

RickM

Re: USA Pagoda&trip some advices needed
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 21:58:27 »
Hi and welcome,

While vehicle registration and insurance requirements vary from state to state I'm thinking it may be tough without permanent residence here in the US.

I take it you're going to be using an "international" license....?

Add: A quick search shows this.... http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_a_tourist_purchase_a_car_in_the_U_S_and_insure_it_himself

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
Re: USA Pagoda&trip some advices needed
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 06:36:37 »
I agree with Rick, why not hire a nice modern car to cruise around looking for a good Pagoda and then ship that to Slovenia?
With all due respect to the US, but Slovenia is the perfect Pagoda country - only 1,5 hours of wonderful driving on twisting roads from the skiing resorts to the palms and blue Adriatic of Portoroz and Piran (my favourite place i Europe)...
Love your work on your Spitfire - I had a MkIII as well in the same colour years back, so did a friend of mine - now we both have Pagodas. Coincidence? I think not...
Good luck and best regards

Ulf
1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper