Author Topic: My Letter / Classic Car Mistress published in Classic Cars Magazine (UK)  (Read 9964 times)

k

Won Star Letter of the Month / Chopard Racing Pen in Jan. 2010  Classic Cars (UK)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Cool! Nice writing.
James
63 230SL

Ulf

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Denmark, Fredericksberg, Rungsted Kyst
Thumbs up from me as well!
1965 230 SL in silver (DB180)
1982 Land Rover Series III SWB
2008 Jaguar XF 3.0
2005 Mini Cooper

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Well done!
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
I know how nice it is to see something one has written be selected for publication, nicer still to have it singled out as something special. A letter I wrote to Classic & Sports Car was chosen "Letter of the Month" a couple of years ago.  I received a very nice Italian leather Bagaglia overnight bag from them for my efforts.

You have put into words what makes many a car enthusiast tick in a way that many can instantly picture in their mind's eye.  Good work. 
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

dean

Hi Kayvan,

VERY NICE LETTER IN DEED!!!

This is exactly how i feel and that is what i am doing with my car.  Any moment i get i am in the garage or finding errands excuses to take her out....  My "affair" started recently in August- November 09 when i acquired three 280 SL (down to two at this time) so  I have a lot of catch up to do.

I see you signed in the letter form SoHo. We should plan a city gathering, there seems to be quite a few Pagoda owners in and around NYC.

I don't need an excuse, I try to drive my car to the city for work during the day and on weekends any time the weather permits.

Best Regards,

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
So, how's the cool new pen? ;)
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
And will that cool pen be penning more letters anytime soon?
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

k

Thanks guys.

-I actually sent this same letter to Octane, Classic & Sports Car; and Classic Cars.; hoping to win that Italian racing leather bag or Black Chronograph Watch they award.

Classic Cars picked it.  The Editor separately sent me a letter asking me my opinion about the Mag and how it campares to other 2; he is planning a style revamp, as Octane / Dennis Pub. has been hugely successfull. I shared my thoughts in a 2 page letter;  separately posted here in part re: car magazines.

-The Pen is gorgeous....it retails for $400; I actually got upgraded to the Alligator leather version.

-Yes, we should plan a SoHo/NYC meet-up. Maybe at the famed Felix Bistro n Soho....they have Vintage Formula 1 / Monaco prints on their walls and always have races on or World Cup or Premier League. Usually there are some Ferraris, Ducatis or Lambos out front; the owner is vintage old school...has a foosball table too.

http://felixnyc.com/soho/

-Yes, the Pen is writing again.  I wrote a poignant Letter about  a pic of my Dads '57 Bel Air.  The Octane Editor emailed me back thanking me. We will see.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 02:12:50 by k »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Not to take this off topic, but I will.  ;)

This magazine, a very nice one, is just one of many kinds of similar car magazines and other special interest magazines published out of the UK.  It seems as if you go to B&N or Borders, to the magazine section, and most of the really fine special interest magazines are from the UK.  Don't know how they do it but am sure glad they do.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Nice job Kayvan,

The story take me back to my youthful days in my SL.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

k

Thanks!  

A copy went out to my High School English teacher too.

I think some of these magazines are re-thinking their staid pasts (in this case a big focus on saloons, ok photos, and clutter); and trying to inject some style, & glamour, youth...which is why many bought these cars originally.

The 'Mistress & Bikini bottoms' is not their usual fare; but Octane has been so successful with its mix of F1 Pit Babes, Pin-ups, gear, collectibles, as well as stylish Technica Essen, Goodwood Festival and Pebble Beach coverage, that the publishing industry took note.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 15:08:38 by k »

dean

K,

Felix is a good choice.  I am in.

being new to this site, is there a greater NYC group?  do you know many local members?  Maybe we should start a new topic.

Regards,

D

k

Hi,

No there is not a Greater NYC group; I have not personally met many members....though a few regular posters are in NYC (eg, Douglas).

Someome once mentioned they mass emailed/pm all the NYC listed members for a local show and there werent many responses. Think mainly people check in infrequently.

I did notice on the Meetup.com site there is interest for a "NYC Vintage Mercedes" group; maybe if we use technology/social networking we can get a small event together @ Felix.

A new post would help ;)

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
Kayvan,
great story, which reminds me of the fact that our Pagodas can only get better, while the girlfriends..., even 10 nice pens would not change some realities  ;)
thanks for a good moment of reading
Stan
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

glenn

Can NOT print the comments about 'working under Mer-CE-des'.   But, I now have a woman doctor doing 'complete physicals'.  She accepts that???

Douglas

Great letter. Count me in on the NYC gathering. Also, I believe Richard Madison is the keeper of the NYC database.

dean

Hi Doug,

glad to hear you will join us.
i started another thread regarding the NYC gathering http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=12566.0
i also sent an email to Richard to see how best to reach out to all the locals.

I am currently stuck in London God knows for how long!!   Maybe should start a gathering here in London and get to meet our Friends here in the UK :)

Best Regards,
Dean