Author Topic: Removal of temp gauge  (Read 4757 times)

Witt

Removal of temp gauge
« on: April 09, 2010, 02:26:27 »
It seems that I have to bite the bullet and replace the temp gauge, sender and pipe as soon as I can locate a replacement or have it fixed.
There is very good info on the tech forum about that job, but I really would like to get some advise how to get at the darn thing (the gauge) without disturbing anything else.
Can somebody please walk me through that procedure?  At the same time the chrome frame surrounding the gages needs replacing. I have replaced my heater control levers previously, so I don't scare easy.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

CHEERS !
WITT !

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: Removal of temp gauge
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 04:05:47 »
Hey Witt. Getting the cluster out is not that difficult (I managed it!)... I'll throw out some guidance but recommend you search here and the tech manual for particulars. First things first, you want to unhook the battery, and remove the steering wheel (gives you a bit more room and you will need it). Then remove the driver's side under dash panel and unscrew the wire harness and carefully push it out of the way. Then its time to remove tachometer. Much of this is by feel and its very tight but try and shine light from underneath as you are wedged on your back looking up. If lucky you can see the back of the tach. Find the tach cable and loosen it. Then loosen the finger nut on the bracket of the tach. The ground wire will be on this screw. Remember that for the reassembly.  In fact remember all this for reassembly. Next comes the tach light bulb housing. One light housing pulls out with bracket in place, the other after the bracket is off. Then the bracket should come out. Next push the tach from behind gently, it will start to pop out the dash -- grab it. Pat yourself on the back.

Now, you can reach inside the tach hole and start on the center cluster. There is a threaded oil line? that you must carefully unscrew. Having two wrenches helps - one to hold the nut on the gauge steady and one to turn off the fitting. You will also see the temp sensor cable back there. Since your capillary is shot you don't have to be ultra careful around it but its good practice for when you put new one back in. Then find the finger nuts for the cluster bracket and unscrew them. Again pay attention to the ground wires that are attached. You do not need to unattach the temp wire -- except at the block (or in your case it is already loose). You also need to unhook the large wire cable connector down by the left footwell. Once everything is unhooked from back, the center unit will also come out the front with the capillary tube and the wiring cable like a tail. Carefully pull it all out. Pay attention to the grommet it came through at the firewall. Go have a beer.

PS if you send it out to be repaired, they will likely have new chrome bezels available for the tach. Not expensive -- the temp gauge ones, however, very expensive. You also want to get new rubber gaskets for the instruments -- contact Dave Gallon.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 13:41:48 by J. Huber »
James
63 230SL

graphic66

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 13:41:46 »
Just a small addition to the great instructions in the previous post. Take a tag of some sort and attach it to the car keys, that should be kept out of the ignition in a safe place, and make a note on the keys to remind you about reattaching the oil line to the back of the gauges. If you forget to attach the oil line it could be a messy mistake. I had read a post here a while back about someone who did just that with some bad results.   
   I now make notes and attach them to my keys on many projects just to make sure not to forget an important detail . I put in a complete rear axle in my car last Fall, started backing out of the shop and just remembered to fill the diff with oil. That could have been a very costly mistake. Next time I will put a note on the keys.

Witt

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 19:12:42 »
He, thank you guys.......I feel a lot better already, may have a contact locally for a good used unit.

CHEERS !
WITT !

Bernd

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 00:25:05 »
if the chrome on your bezels is still ok, they are not all that hard to remove and replace. If you need, someone on the forum, myself included,  can walk you through it. If you take your time they come off very nicely and then the glass can be cleaned.
Was a bit intimidated at first at the thought of prying them off, but it is not as hard as it seems at first glance

Witt

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 00:59:50 »
Thank you Bernd,
......all I have to do now is to find a replacement  temp gauge assembly. I received an email from a parts supplier quoting US$ 260.- for a new one....hope to do better than that.
There is  a used one listed on this forum and you replied to it some time ago....do you remember if you ended up purchasing it or not.....I left a message for the vendor, but no reply yet...

CHEERS !
WITT !

Bernd

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 04:40:34 »
I checked mine and it was working, so I did not need to buy the one on the forum... although I was really afraid I had buggered it up. I hope its still available.

Good luck

Bernd
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 04:50:20 by Bernd »

Witt

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 21:00:33 »
Hi Bernd,
I am in touch with the vendor and hope that he is accepting my offer.
Thank's
WITT !