Author Topic: Owner's Hanbook wallet  (Read 2697 times)

fastlap

Owner's Hanbook wallet
« on: April 05, 2010, 15:51:03 »
All the manuals & books in our '68 280SL are present & correct, but the flimsy plastic handbook wallet (original, I imagine) is looking very sorry for itself.   It's a tan-coloured plastic thing with a transparent front, and a fold-over flap at the top embossed with the 'MERCEDES-BENZ' wordmark.   I can't believe it was particularly 'premium' when new, but now it's really losing the fight for life.

Definitely time to pension it off and keep safe to avoid complete disintegration, but does anyone know if reproductions are available anywhere?   The other option is to buy a new M-B item for a modern Mercedes, which tend to be in padded black vinyl, are timeless/neutral to look at and would do the job well without jarring visually - but the original look would be 1st choice.

Maybe someone has shared my dilemma and overcome it?

Martin

hauser

Re: Owner's Hanbook wallet
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 16:00:57 »
Get the new style and place all the originals inside of it.  The plastic handbook will fare better when placed inside a separate holder.

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Owner's Hanbook wallet
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 00:34:48 »
You may need a bit of patience, but the brown plastic wallets are not all that hard to find on ebay. These are common to all the MB cars of that era, so are reasonably plentiful. The patience comes with waiting for a nice one to show up.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor