Author Topic: Carpet material available 'loose'?  (Read 6630 times)

fastlap

Carpet material available 'loose'?
« on: April 04, 2010, 22:21:19 »
Our Tunis Beige '68 280SL with Black M-B Tex was recently re-carpeted, and we're keen to protect the new look.

Not crazy about the idea of after-market rubber mats, or M-B items from a W107 or whatever, both of which would fit poorly ... ... ... we figure the best idea might be to custom-cut a pair from the proper carpet material and get them bound locally.

The recently-fitted carpets are in the standard two-colour 'square-weave' design in Black/Grey.   Does anyone know if this carpet material can be bought by length off-the-roll, and where we could source it?

Unless of course anyone knows of someone making good fitted mats in precisely the correct carpet material?

Thanks a lot - Martin 

hauser

Re: Carpet material available 'loose'?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 00:50:54 »
Coco mats will work perfectly!

cocomats.com

Bernd

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 04:24:09 »
surely its available in Europe from one of the German suppliers as well. I just replaced my carpet with a kit from GAHH in North Hollywood, and when I spoke with them about wanting extra material they told me it was no problem to get it by the yard. good luck :)

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 10:09:30 »
Hi, Martin,

This is one of many German suppliers.
I believe they will make you what you want.

http://www.cabrio.de/khm/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11&Itemid=12&lang=en

naj
68 280SL

fastlap

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 15:25:47 »
Thanks all, that's a real help

I had seen the Cocomats before and thought their Black Sisal would be very complimentary - and looking again today I'm even more convinced.   Only downside is the cost of shipping and UK tax, but hey, as a long-term investment ... ... ...

The KHM link also gives me an option this side of the Pond, and looks like the best chance of getting a seamless match to the carpet fabric if that's my objective.

I'll talk to both and weigh up the options.   I presume no-one has any horror stories about either outfit??

Big thanks again ... ... ... it's our first post on here and that's a great result - Martin

hauser

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 15:58:09 »
The coco mats have a non slip rubber backing.  If something is spilled it will not go through to the underside.  The coco mats will not move out of place, it will not get trapped around the pedals. 

bogeyman

• Silver
  • USA, NE, Omaha
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 16:19:42 »
I just got a set of cocomats.  The quality is first rate, much better than I expected.
I actually took out the original carpets and I am just using the mats.  They are very thick and heavy and fit well so they don't move around.
Rick Bogart
1970 280SL Black(040)/Parchment
1969 280SL Silver(180)/Green
1993 500E
1972 350SL
1995 E320 Cabrio

RickM

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 19:07:01 »
Without the proper backing standard carpet may curl, fold and wrinkle.

Via Manci

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 21:34:46 »
For me the cocomats also act as a strong bridge over the rust holes.

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 00:36:49 »
I will add my endorsement for the cocomats. I have a Signal Red car with black interior and went with the black and red dotted mats. I also think you have a choice of smooth back or knobby, depending on if you have the rubber mats on the floor (as for the 230 and 250) or the carpets as in the 280.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

hauser

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 01:31:13 »
Placing carpet over carpet will need to be anchored in place.  I believe it to be dangerous to have carpet over carpet since the upper carpet will slide under the pedals.

johnshenry

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 14:30:26 »
I'm cheap as the day is long, and had to bite my tongue to fork out the $$ for cocomats, but I love them.  Excellent quality, fit and durability.  They do not move at all.

fastlap

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 15:22:46 »
Thanks everyone ... ... ... no need for further help on this topic.   Cocomats seem to get a ringing endorsement, and that's the way I'm going to go.

Tosh re-awoke an old thread on here just the other day, to try to instigate another bulk-buy (following his successful one from a couple of years ago).

So far only two of us are signed-up, so if anyone's interested do add your name - Martin