Author Topic: Soft top folding ?  (Read 7490 times)

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
Soft top folding ?
« on: April 03, 2010, 23:00:36 »
I took the car out for a drive today and decided to put the top down for the first time since it was installed last fall.  It is very tight to get it into the compartment.  Is this normal and will it fit better after it is used a few times?  I don't want to snag or damage anything.  I don't want to roll the corners like I see on many cars.  The upholstery shop made a sausage roll pad to through in the back window to prevent the window from getting a crease and it works great.  Also when putting it back up it takes some effort to get it latched but it is doable alone.  Is this normal also?
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Re: Soft top folding ?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 08:42:39 »
First, it's worth using the magic search button to get a feel for the woes of others - like me! More importantly, the search will give you a wealth of top tips on putting the thing up/down, storing, folding, including things like cut water bottles, plastic sleeves, towels, etc.

I have a newish top. I leave it up unless I want to drive with it down, but always (almost) put it up if leaving the car. It means that in the Summer it goes up and down more than needed, but I think it seems to keep its condition better by being up.

My top, and the one it replaced, are a nightmare to get up and down. I can do it on my own, but it's far easier with two. I've seen several cars on which the tops open and close with one hand - but more that have challenging tops. If you want to avoid the corners turning up, follow the tips a search will produce (mostly about folding corners under when stowing and using plastic sheets to ease the top into the box).

If you want to have a play with your top, there are a number of areas for adjustment, including the rear locking mechanism (inside the box); the soft top lid, and of course the soft top frame, which has numerous adjustments. There's also techniques for stretching the top on the site - not sure how effective they are.

Anyway, I'd suggest you're not alone. If you haven't already tried, you may want to see what adjustments make a difference. I'd just offer that moving the frame would be a bad idea if the top fits will when up - which is more important that the top fitting well in the box. Finally, not that there are different ways to latch the top (the manual differs between models - no clear agreement on why or to what effect). You can part latch the front, then secure the back, then fully latch the front, or versions thereof. Note also that you should ensure the two front levels are fully retrated before closing the soft top box lid, and that the two rubber stops are in place inside the lid to protect it.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 17:15:12 »
I did put it back up after using it.  It seems easier to latch the front then push the back down.  When closing the lid after folding I am worried about the hinge rails sliding on the edge as it is very tight there.  Also when tucking the corners near the hinge it rubs the edge as it drops in.  Those are my main concerns.  It does fit perfect when up.  I will search for what others have done to make it easier.
Thanks,
Brad
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 02:37:16 »
Mine is extremely tight in the soft-top case. I employ the Plastic Pagoda Flaps which have kept things from getting chewed up. But once folded, and the handles turned, it is still very tight. I do a sort of medium pressure two-handed CPR move to get the case to lock on each side. I can tell you it is nothing like the Pagoda Info Video found on our Home page. He just drops it and he's done.

As for putting it up. What I first do is carefully lift it out and remove my towel and felt-lined roll from the window area and stow in the well. Then after dropping the case, I give each of the corners a little squeeze so any "curl" is bent back down. Then I do the back first. Finally I either stand outside the window and pull the top into place or else I do like the video and, from a seated position pull it into the latching position. That last little inch is a stretch but not to overly difficult.

My general habit is to leave the soft-top however it was after the drive. So it stays mostly down in the summer months but I usually find myself putting it up before too long. In the winter, if not using the hard-top, it is more often up than not.
James
63 230SL

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 07:49:15 »
I tried latching the back first and it is very tight to pull the latches to the winshield by myself.  I think it may get easier as I use it more.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

bpossel

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 09:46:41 »
Mine was tight when new, but now has gotten better. What works well for me is...
1. Pull soft top up & out of compartment.
2. Straighten top frame rails.
3. Use right hand and pull top forward by grabbing rear of frame.
4. Use left hand to guide front pins into the holes on top of windshield.
5. Close soft top lid. Note: If I dont do step #4, my soft top lid will hit the bottom rubber seal of soft top.
6. With front pins in there holes, but not latched, I then lower rear of frame and forcefully push into the latch at rear.
7. With rear latched down and in place, complete by latching down each front pin.

Depending on how your frame is adjusted, this may or may not work for you....
Bob  :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 09:49:44 by bpossel »

johnshenry

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 20:04:06 »
Can you elaborate on what these "Plastic Pagoda Flaps" are?

Mine is extremely tight in the soft-top case. I employ the Plastic Pagoda Flaps which have kept things from getting chewed up. But once folded, and the handles turned, it is still very tight. I do a sort of medium pressure two-handed CPR move to get the case to lock on each side. I can tell you it is nothing like the Pagoda Info Video found on our Home page. He just drops it and he's done.

As for putting it up. What I first do is carefully lift it out and remove my towel and felt-lined roll from the window area and stow in the well. Then after dropping the case, I give each of the corners a little squeeze so any "curl" is bent back down. Then I do the back first. Finally I either stand outside the window and pull the top into place or else I do like the video and, from a seated position pull it into the latching position. That last little inch is a stretch but not to overly difficult.

My general habit is to leave the soft-top however it was after the drive. So it stays mostly down in the summer months but I usually find myself putting it up before too long. In the winter, if not using the hard-top, it is more often up than not.

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 08:39:13 »
I understand that the design and construction of said flaps is highly classified, but in short - and without giving too much away - they are two flaps of plastic construction that are used when closing the soft top. One flap is placed either side of the soft top box, draped half in/half out. The idea is that said flaps protect the bottom lip of the top, and the seals in the soft top box when the top is pushed back into the box; ie the top rubs against the plastic flaps where the friction is far less than were it to rub against the soft top box seal (follow me so far?)

The flaps are then left in the soft top box.

A search will - should - produce photos of flaps in action, I recall.

I use two pieces of 3mm thick plastic that came with my soft top and which are exactly for this purpose as provided by the soft top supplier. I think others just use those plastic wallets that legal pad paper goes in.

Placement is just behind the soft top hinges, where the top rubs.

I'm sure you get the idea. It's a good one, and works very well. This process, together with the act of folding under the corners and placing a rolled up towel in the rear window should help preserve the top.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

DavidBrough

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 11:32:21 »
I got my plastic from a builders merchants as its very thick and last well, also used the same stuff to re make the inner door covers to stop water getting at the cards.

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 11:58:54 »
I got my Pagoda Plastic Parts from my local recycling bin

Take one empty (and clean) 2l bottle soda bottle (brand is largely immaterial). Remove the bottom with sharp scissors, being careful to avoid loose clothing and small fingers

Remove the top in similar fashion. this should result in a clear plastic cylinder. Cut the cylinder in half. lengthways, before you ask. Use as described above. Replace as needed

crushable bottles, such as those for bottled water are not as strong. PET is what you're after.
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

johnshenry

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 13:39:47 »
Ahhh, OK, I got it (found a pic).  I'll have to make those mods.  The top on my 280 is basically new, and very nice, and I want to keep it that way.  And I think we will probably store the car with the top down often as it is a summer car and has its own garage space.

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 15:16:55 »
johnshenry, where did you find the pic?
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

johnshenry

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 16:08:28 »

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 17:00:55 »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'll have to make some flaps.  I already have the roll and a cloth pad to protect the window.  It is still very tight to close the lid though.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

bpossel

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 17:35:52 »
Everyone does things a bit differently...

I lay a large micro fiber towel across the back of the window before I fold it up (make sure it covers the entire window).  I dont use a noodle.  I also lay a large micro fiber towel across the wall of the soft-top compartment.  This protects the plastic window from rubbing/scratching along the wall as the top is being lowered and raised.
I used to use hard plastic protectors (shoe horns) on the sides to help keep the top edges from rubbing.  I now just use pieces of thin plastic sheeting material.  This is a lot more flexible and helps the sides to just "slide" in and out....
Bob  :)

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 21:35:24 »
Look in the Technical Manual, as always: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Tops/SoftTop
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!