Author Topic: Front Leaf Springs  (Read 4587 times)

DavidBrough

Front Leaf Springs
« on: April 03, 2010, 09:43:37 »
I'm in the process of putting my front sub frame back together and would just like to clarify whether the leaf springs are fitted with the open end down (as photo) or up. Mine were originally fitted as per photo but in looking in the BBB they appear to be fitted both ways as Fig 33-1/5 shows them down but Fig 33-1/8 shows the open end up. Does anyone know which is correct?

I would also like to clarify the torque setting for the lower control arm bolt and castellated nut which I think is 130ft lbs, is that correct and is it for both the threaded bolt and the nut?

bpossel

Re: Front Leaf Springs
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 09:58:56 »
Hi David,

I did mine up... woops, need to flip my bolts and nuts around....  nuts on bottom..
I recall having the same questions.... Very confusing as you mentioned.  The manual shows pictures of it down, while a diagram showing it up (Fig. 33-1/8) ...?
David, on a separate note... dont forget to bend down at least one ear of the upper pivot carrier washer (each side).  This helps to lock the bolt.

Bob  :)

« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:47:15 by bpossel »

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 15:30:41 »
Correct me if i am wrong but the bolts that hold the bottom wishbone in position should be bolt head on top.
The axle i have just rebuilt had them fitted like in your picture,but the manual states the other way round,
The leaf springs were fitted as per Bpossel s with the bolts in from the top.
I tightened the bolt using a long extension(read tight) and then i used the torque wrench to 130ft lbs for the castelated. nut
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 06:36:33 by tel76 »
Eric

DavidBrough

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 17:56:15 »
Thanks guys, just to be clear, is the consensus that the springs are fitted with the open end up and the the bolt heads on top.

Eric, is there any reason you didn't torque the threaded nut as well as the castellated nut?

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 07:40:15 »
David,
My reasoning was that if the bolt was tight (and i mean tight) and i then torqued the castelated nut up to spec: and also a split pin that was sufficient.
On a different subject can you tell me what thickness of rubbers are fitted top and bottom on your rear springs,i on removal of the axle had a thick one on top and also the same on the bottom.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 07:46:42 by tel76 »
Eric

DavidBrough

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 11:07:44 »
Eric,

My rear spring pads measure 30mm top and 4.6mm bottom.

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 17:54:09 »
Pedant's note:
They are coil springs, not leaf springs.
The top rubbers are available in different thicknesses to fine-tune ride height.

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 07:38:00 »
Hello Colin,
If you re-read the above you will see that i asked a question with regard to the rear springs rubbers. nothing to do with Front Leaf Springs.
Eric