Author Topic: Fuel Unit Sender With External Float  (Read 4977 times)

alfances

Fuel Unit Sender With External Float
« on: March 31, 2010, 10:25:52 »
i have a problem on my  Fuel Sender Unit transmits.I try to look on internet to find a new sender unit with external float,but i find the later cylindrical sender unit with internal float.I don't know if the internal float unit will work and fit in my tank.
Anybody know or had this experience and explain if is possible?
i attached the address of the picture

http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Fuel/SenderUnit

If somebody can give me some suggestion were i can find the sender unit with external float i will be grateful.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:47:51 by 280SL71 »

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
Re: FUEL UNIT SENDER WITH EXTERNAL FLOAT
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 17:41:48 »
i have a problem on my  Fuel Sender Unit transmits.I try to look on internet to find a new sender unit with external float,but i find the later cylindrical sender unit with internal float.I don't know if the internal float unit will work and fit in my tank.
Anybody know or had this experience and explain if is possible?
i attached the address of the picture

http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Fuel/SenderUnit

If somebody can give me some suggestion were i can find the sender unit with external float i will be grateful.
I salvage fuel senders from junked cars, disassemble, clean, test, get new cork gasket, and re-sell them.   Three times I have come across the early style like you have and never have I managed to get to function.  In contrast, I have been quite successful with the tube-style floats in terms of cleaning and getting them to work right.  I think it is a drop-in replacement but I'm not 100% sure.   If you want to buy one from me you can return it if it doesn't work for you...   See my post in the commercial forum.

Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 12:20:34 »

I think it is a drop-in replacement but I'm not 100% sure.  

Scott

Check the table below the sender unit pictures in the wiki. The dash unit would also have to be replaced to use the later tube type sender.

The external float types were also commomly used in the early W 111 sedans, if that helps.

naj
68 280SL

xcashewx

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 02:38:42 »
the early 230's had a guage that is NOT compatible with the later cylindrical sender

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 10:25:45 »
Seems like we've got two threads going on this one  ::)

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=12480.msg84502#msg84502
68 280SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 14:39:25 »
I've merged them to one topic now!
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 17:58:42 »
Good to have the threads merged.  I did not know that they were not interchangable.  Very important info!  I guess I better keep trying to salvage the old style when I find them....
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

alfances

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 07:28:21 »
Thank you very much for your answer,i was almost convinced to buy the cilyndrical float and try it.If someone have the old external float for sell i will be very happy.