Author Topic: turn signal/wiper control arm replacement  (Read 4229 times)

sarasotasl

• Junior Level
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
turn signal/wiper control arm replacement
« on: March 30, 2010, 02:14:27 »
I'm trying to find in the tech manual section instructions for changing this part.

any help?

bpossel

Re: turn signal/wiper control arm replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 09:58:38 »
Dont think its in the Tech Manual, but would be a good addition.

It is pretty easy to remove.  Going by memory.....

Disconnect battery for safety. Remove the rubber boot.  Then remove the 2 phillips screws.  Unplug from underneath the dash.  Use left hand to help guide the large connector plug through the opening under the steering column while using the right hand to pull the control arm up and away from the column.

To re-install, I used an insulated wire to help feed the large connector plug back down and through the steering column...

I think this is correct.  Any others with a better process?

Bob  :)

Bernd

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 16:49:13 »
recommended way to pull it through the steering assembly is to open and remove the  the plug. You can wrap the connectors with some tape if you wish to be sure nothing snags, but don't have to. Replacement wise I would definitely recommend wrapping them. There are two wires on the column just under the rubber cover that require a phillips screwdriver. The wires themselbves are of course color coded and the length is very specific. You would have to try if you wanted to mix them up, but, again, to be sure, either take a pic of the opened plug with the wires in it or make some notes of what goes where.

See attached pic of the coding on a 280SL...

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 01:07:27 »
The multi-function column switch is in the Tech Manual under Electrical

http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/Lightswitch

then select Column

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

Bernd

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 01:56:15 »
True, Richard, but the description of how to fix it if it malfunctions, which they all will as they get older, is VERY GOOD on our german counterpart website. No insult intended for the person that may have written it for our forum.

http://www.pagodentreff.de/artikel/blinkerkombischalterreparieren.html

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 13:56:04 »
It is indeed very good, but in German. I would happily translate it and put it on our website (including the photographs) but you'd need express permission from  the author / Pagodentreff first.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!