Author Topic: Proper way to remove hard top latch?  (Read 2800 times)

Jim Donati

Proper way to remove hard top latch?
« on: March 29, 2010, 14:54:49 »
I am in the process of replacing the vinyl that run along the bottom of the rear hardtop window.  It appears that the hard top latches must be removed to properly install the replacement vinyl.  I have read several forum notes and looked at the section for restoring the hard top in the technical manual, but am still just a bit confused.

I am not sure if all the latches are exactly the same, but in my 1970 280SL is proper way to remove the latches from the hard top by removing the sleeve on the pin first, and then remove the pin from the plastic cone?   How difficult is this procedure?  Where can I source replacement pins, sleeves and possible plastic cones to complete this process.

again thanks in advance for all your assistance.

Jim

bpossel

Re: Proper way to remove hard top latch?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 17:35:28 »
Hi Jim,

I recently replaced the plastic cones and rubber bushes on my hard top latches.  With the hard top on the stand and a rag under the latch, I squirted a few drops of WD40 (pblaster, etc...) on the pin.  Let it soak for a couple days, maybe even squirt a few more drops in over time...
Look closely at the end of each side of the pin.  One side will look "peened", while the other side not (or not as much).  Tap the pin on the side that looks less peened....
Once the pin is removed the plastic cone and bushes will slide off.  Once the plastic cone and bushes are removed, you can remove the chrome handle.  This is held in place with a nut..
Good Luck.
ps.  Dave Gallon can get the plastic cones. The rubber bushes are NLA, so go to your local hardware store and match up a std rubber washer. 
Bob
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:36:16 by bpossel »

Jim Donati

Re: Proper way to remove hard top latch?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 04:29:45 »
Bob:
thanks for your insignt.   your help is greatly appreciated.