Author Topic: Painting the headlining - any tips  (Read 4379 times)

Alf

• Senior
  • England, Surrey, Lightwater
Painting the headlining - any tips
« on: March 24, 2010, 06:15:05 »
My hardtop headling is yellowing in places and on Gavin at Roger Edwards suggestion I am going to have a go at painting it with vinyl coat. I have bought from Frost's in UK some 'Interior cleaner', 'Interior prep' and 'interior coat' (in off white) aerosols. Apart from masking everything up, has anyone that has done this before got any good tips to pass on?
Alf
'69 280SL. Silver (180 G) with black hardtop

SteveK

Re: Painting the headlining - any tips
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 10:52:13 »
I used some of the spray vinyl dye from World Upholstery on headrests that I added.  I was amazed at how well it covered and worked.   The only tip I would have is to make sure you do it at the recommended temperature.  I did some experimenting before I started the actual application and found the dye to be very temperature sensitive on the low side. (It will not dry below the recommended temp)

Alf

• Senior
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 11:32:03 »
Thanks Steve. Maybe I'll wait for the summer to do it then
Alf

DavidBrough

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 12:41:38 »
Hi Alf,

I painted mine a few years ago and it was very straight forward, have a look here http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=7000.0

I always warm paint prior to use in a bucket of warm water as it will flow much better and then use a fan heater to raise the temperature of the piece and the area if its quite cool.

Alf

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 14:35:08 »
Thanks David.

I have just read your previous posting and your hardtop lining looks great. Did you mask the grab handles too or remove them? If you removed them was that an easy job?
Alf

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 17:49:15 »
Hi Alf,

I painted mine a few years ago and it was very straight forward, have a look here http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=7000.0

I always warm paint prior to use in a bucket of warm water as it will flow much better and then use a fan heater to raise the temperature of the piece and the area if its quite cool.
Good idea about the bucket of water.

How well do you think this would work for a headliner that is not on a removable hardtop?  The headliner in my 250 C has some stains and I would like to improve it, but I can't imagine painting it inside a car...
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

hauser

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 19:59:24 »
Alf

Have a look at the first three minutes of this video.  I'm sure you would have no problem finding the right people in your area to fix your headliner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mEr1AcPODs&feature=PlayList&p=65C735E10CCA1DAD&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=35

DavidBrough

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 20:35:19 »
I always prefer removal to masking where possible and the grab handles front mountings and wood all come off very easily.