Author Topic: fuel guage not working  (Read 4136 times)

xcashewx

fuel guage not working
« on: March 23, 2010, 23:14:27 »
randomly after having my sl sit for a few weeks the gas guage no longer works.
the instrument cluster gets power as i can manually activate the fuel reserve light. and the #5 fuse thats responsible for the guage is good as well.
i ruled out the sender because i tried my other broken one which would constantly read "full" and still no movement of the needle.

any ideas?

jeffc280sl

Re: fuel guage not working
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 23:33:12 »
Check the sending unit ground and clean the connector pins and socket.  Sometimes the fuses can get dirty and loose contact.  Spin fuse 5.

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 23:34:24 »
Twisting or spinning the fuses is a spring ritual for me. Especially since mine sits idle during the winter months. It is a good idea to do to clean up the contact points.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

xcashewx

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 04:59:41 »
cleaned all fuses, and made sure all connections were tight/clean and still no results :(

alfances

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 16:05:59 »
Check from the connection of the fuel unit sender in the gas tank if the gauge and the yellow light for the gas reserve work in a car electrical repairs or connecting inside the pin a copperwire.This way you are able to see if is the front fuel gauge that doesn't work or the fuel unit sender inside the tank.I had almost the same problem,from a electric blast(short circuit?i am not shure this is the right translation).This way i realize my fuel unit sender is broke.

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 16:46:02 »
The low fuel light and the gauge working are two separate issues.  The sender could be broken and not indicating the correct fuel level but working for the low fuel light.  But you have tried a second sender that used to read "always full" and you say that no longer works.

My suggestion is to tap the front of the gauge with your fingernail and see if it springs to some point other than zero.  That's often the case in my 71 250 C. 
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California