Author Topic: How to attach the aluminum lower side molding?  (Read 6810 times)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
How to attach the aluminum lower side molding?
« on: March 23, 2010, 22:17:50 »
I have had my car re-painted and I'm trying to put it back together.  I have the yellow and blue plastic attaching plugs and I know which holes they go in, but I don't see how I get the molding onto the attaching plugs.  Do I put the attaching plugs on the molding first and then press them against the body of the car?  This seems like it would potentially dent the molding.  Do I put the plastic plugs into the car first and then try to slide the molding over them?  That doesn't seem to work because the ears that the molding is secured by are flush against the car so there is no obvious way to get the molding to slide under them.   I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, and I have searched for it, but haven't found the answer....   help please?   thanks,
Scott
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

bogeyman

• Silver
  • USA, NE, Omaha
Re: How to attach the aluminum lower side molding?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 22:30:46 »
Scott-
First, be sure you have the metal "grippers" that go behind the colored fasteners and also the "plugs that hold them together.
I secured the fasteners to the trim piece and then positioned them to the corresponding holes in the body. 
Then, I just bumped the trim piece with the heel of my hand to force them into the holes.
I don't see any way you could get the fasteners into the grooves of the trim while they were attached to the body, especially with the metal grippers attached.
Rick Bogart
1970 280SL Black(040)/Parchment
1969 280SL Silver(180)/Green
1993 500E
1972 350SL
1995 E320 Cabrio

bpossel

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 23:07:05 »
Scott,

Take a look at the pics below just to confirm that the yellow plugs go into the door and the blue ones into the body panels.
Also note that the white male plugs hold the metal clips.  Install the plugs into the body panels and the doors.  Then install the male plugs with the metal clips.  Some say you only need these on each end and maybe in the middle.  Then carefully using your hand (palm), tap each molding piece onto the metal clip, starting at one end and working your way down the line...  You should hear it "snap" as each clip is secured in place into the molding.  Take your time!  It does work....
Bob  :)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 01:28:21 »
Scott-
First, be sure you have the metal "grippers" that go behind the colored fasteners and also the "plugs that hold them together.
I secured the fasteners to the trim piece and then positioned them to the corresponding holes in the body. 
Then, I just bumped the trim piece with the heel of my hand to force them into the holes.
I don't see any way you could get the fasteners into the grooves of the trim while they were attached to the body, especially with the metal grippers attached.
Metal Grippers?   OOOOPS!!!!   Forgot to order those, don't see the old ones....  DUH!   Thanks !!!!
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

bpossel

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 09:50:24 »
Scott,

One add'l comment...  as I think back doing this, I believe I "hung" the top of the molding on the metal clip, and then carefully lowered it and snapped the lower section on the clip....
Hope that helps!
Bob

Witt

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 02:20:45 »
One thing that bothered me when I did the same job not to long ago, that there was no rubber gasket between the body and the trim pieces. In order to prevent water to get in between I put a bead of silicon on the inside trim and a barley visible bead of silicon on top of the trim after installation. If that would have been done previously, it would have saved me a lot of trouble with rusted screws and screw holes in the body.
.....just a thought ! ;)

CHEERS !
WITT !

tel76

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Douglas
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 08:30:54 »
Hello Bob.
Can you inform me what material you used on your rocker panels to achieve the textured finish and did you paint them before fitting them to the vehicle?
Eric

bpossel

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 11:18:15 »
Hi Eric,

Yes, the panels were removed, prepped, and painted off the car.  The painter used a 3M stone/chip guard paint.  Then used the same paint/color as was used in the trunk, softtop compartment (Standox Opal Rallye Black).  An alternative to DB7164.

Eric, while the painter used a 3M chip guard paint, I dont believe the texture came from the paint?  I believe the panels have that texture in the metal work?  Can anyone confirm this, I just recall?

Bob  :)

bogeyman

• Silver
  • USA, NE, Omaha
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 12:13:19 »
Bob-
Yes, the panels come with the texture already applied.
Rick Bogart
1970 280SL Black(040)/Parchment
1969 280SL Silver(180)/Green
1993 500E
1972 350SL
1995 E320 Cabrio

Bernd

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 04:40:40 »
one thing to remember! Thjhe white inserts will make the mushroom shaped dome that snaps into the panels MUCH more difficult to remove. I opted not to even use them, which is also what Dan Caron recommended. I am glad I did not. the trim holds plenty without the inserts. Also, since the profie of the trim  is the same whether its on the fenders or the door, it doesn't really seem to matter if you just use the orange ones alone or both the blue and the orange. I ordered mine directly from MB, and they actually only had the orange ones available anyways, while the SLS kit  shows both types on their website.
 Do what you need, but mine are just fine the way it they are without inserts and with just one color.

They trim snaps on easily if you just lay it over the top first and gently push it downward (vice versa will work as well). If you want to make it slip better use a drop of dishsoap on the groove of the plastic pieces, but I doubt it would be necessary

Dave Gallon

• Senior
  • USA, NC, Statesville
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 09:39:31 »
Both plastic clips (yellow/orange and blue) are readily available from MB. Indeed, I just ordered stock less than 24 hours ago and MB has plenty of each in the US. I can't understand why you would not want to use the white plugs. They are inexpensive and insure the colored clips do not fall off. The moldings have become so expensive that it is a tragedy to loose one on the road.
Dave Gallon
Gallon Restorations
113.044-12-001155

Bernd

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 14:13:30 »
Hi Dave

It was a pretty basic decision. I found plenty of holding power without the white inserts. Dan Caron had told me over the phone that he usually doesn't use them, and after I tried it it seemed quite accurate that they are not needed. My apologies ahead of time to Dan if I misquote or misunderstood him.
 Its definitely not an issue of cost.