Author Topic: Recent experience with Dash Gauge LEDs?  (Read 3149 times)

RickM

Recent experience with Dash Gauge LEDs?
« on: March 23, 2010, 14:29:19 »
I was surprised to see the mention of LEDs as an acceptable retrofit for Pagoda gauges.

FWIW, on the Pelican Parts 911 forum this subject was explored exhaustively. Many different LED "bulbs" were used with the Ba7s base (some hand made, some special order) and the result was always the same.....the beam was always too directional. The nature of a LED's beam does not lend it self to washing the area of the gauge face properly. Not to mention, many did not care for the harsh color as opposed to the vintage (yellowish) feel of an incandescent bulb.

The conclusion at the time was that new bulbs could make a difference in brightness. I experimented with the hard to get Kugellampe 12V/3 Watt Ba7s (GL12.330.001640), to replace the Ba7s 12v 2 Watt bulbs, but with no appreciable advantage.

Curious as to the latest feedback on the subject...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 16:15:31 by RickM »

Travis71280

Re: Recent experience with Dash Gauge LEDs?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 15:05:12 »
I'm curious about the subject too. The only experience I've had with LED lights was on an Auto Meter Tach on my truck in which I changed the bulb over to an LED. I noticed that with LED bulbs, in partial light conditions the light seems to not spread out evenly, but at night it does. I know LED lights have a much longer bulb light which would be a big plus because everyone knows how much "fun" it is to change instrument dash lights on these cars.  :D

popiex3

Re: Recent experience with Dash Gauge LEDs?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 00:26:22 »
 If your interested in leds try search Superbrite Leds.

12 volt led car bulbs. click Tail,Brake/ Turn Bulbs.Scroll down to other Bulb catagories. The ba9 and Ba7s are listed there.The ba9s for the speedo and tach really brigthen up the dash.You might want to add a little orange paint to them to mimic a regular bulbs color. The ba7s didn't improve the visability of the heater controls very much. Still looking for a replacement for them

Tom