Author Topic: Directional flasher gremlin  (Read 2998 times)

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Directional flasher gremlin
« on: March 08, 2010, 19:17:21 »
My directional flasher is doing some strange things. I replaced the original "silver can" with one from the classic center that is close to the original but not the exact same wiring. It came with a wiring adapter. This is not the square brown one that is out there.

Anyway, it has worked well for at least 16 months and has just started to act up. When I move the directional stalk left or right, the directional light on the dash flashes and the flasher makes a click noise. That part is normal. However, every flash after that, only a very faint noise is heard from the flasher. This is the case for both left or right. So the flasher only clicks for the very first flash but none after that.

The frequency of flashing remains the same when it clicks and when it doesn't. I have tapped on the case while it is "silently" flashing with no luck.  I have been through all of lights and bulbs are correct and no corrosion.

Does this sound like the flasher unit is defective?
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

w113dude

Re: Directional flasher gremlin
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 00:27:48 »
Hi Wallace,

I had a similar problem, I took the flasher unit apart (four tabs on the flasher) cleaned the contacts & has worked since, The other thing you want to check is the wiring harness connection, sometimes corrosion causes insufficient contacts.