Author Topic: Dashboard/Instrument lights  (Read 26775 times)

Asper

Dashboard/Instrument lights
« on: February 27, 2010, 22:41:35 »
I have just bought 1968 280 SL. All lights are working except the dashboard/instrument lights. Interior light and glovecompartment light are working but not any lights in the dashboard. Have anybodu experienced a similar problem?

Kjell Asper, Norway

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: Dashboard/Instrument lights
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 23:17:57 »
Have you turned the rheostat completely clockwise?
See: http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/Rheostat
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

w113dude

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 00:09:19 »
The best thing to do is bypass rheostat by soldering a single link, I don't ever remember dimming my lights on any of my cars for any reason what so ever, so what is the use of this thing anyway?

Asper

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 14:57:21 »
Thanks guys. I have tried turning the rheostat back and forth with no succes. Do I have to take it out to bypass it, or is there a better way to do it?
Kjell Asper

w113dude

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 12:39:50 »
Kjell,

I did mine while back, but to bypass the rheostat you have to connect the two connection that go to it with a single wire, power is going through rheostat and it's being adjusted by that little knob what you want to do is by bass it by so the light stays on & you don't have to take the unit out of the cluster, If you can wait a week or so I might be able to do one in a used cluster it with images and post them on the forum.

Asper

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 12:59:13 »
Shaun,
I appreciate your information. No problem to wait a week or two.

w113dude

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 17:32:02 »
Here is how to bypass the rheostat on your cluster so dash lights always stays on, this is in a case where you don't want to replace your rheostat, 
All you need is a piece of electric wire and a soldering gun. We are essentially connecting the two wires that go in to and come out of the rheostat, take a look at the images for simple directions.

Cheers
Shaun

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 19:12:22 by w113dude »

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 18:50:57 »
... I don't ever remember dimming my lights on any of my cars for any reason what so ever, so what is the use of this thing anyway?

I always dim the dash lights on every car I have - actually the Pagoda is the only one where the lights are already so dim, they don't need additional dimming. The reason I dim the dash lights (and sometimes even turn them off completely) is because it diminishes the quality of my vision on the road.

When I am in a taxi in the evening, I tend to note that the dashboard lights are brighter than I would have them ...
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

w113dude

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 19:09:37 »
I always dim the dash lights on every car I have

I agree, on modern cars the lights are very bright, since all my cars have always been Mercedes Benz I have never had any need for them! (a bit of clarification) ;)

Asper

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 20:47:23 »
Thanks Shaun. Looks simple. I appreciate your help.
Kjell

al_lieffring

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 00:11:03 »
As I was reading through this thread, I realized that Shaun's rheostat jumper is a perfectly good procedure, but it can be made even better by eliminating one "small" step. You don't need to remove the center cluster from the dash board.
The other end of those two wires are accesable from under the dash at the 12 prong plug next to the steering column. There are 2 - 12 prong plugs on the metal bracket that the flasher can also hangs on, one for the turn signal combi switch (marked with red tape) and the other goes up to the center instrument cluster.

By taking the cover off the back of the male plug (3 screws on a 230, snaps off on 250 and 280's)  you will then be able to remove the two wires that go up to the rheostat. One is grey w/violet stripe the other grey w/blue stripe. Hold each terminal pin with a pair of needle nose pliars, heat with a soldering iron untill the wire pulls out. While the solder is still hot tap it aginst the floor and the excess solder will come out and clear the holes.

Make a short (insulated) juper wire and solder it with the original wires in the terminals, replace the terminal pins back in the plug where they came out, reinstall the cover on the back of the plug. plug it in and check for operation of dash lights.

I took these photos on the workbench, but the job could easily be done in the car sitting in the driver's seat, with the steering wheel removed.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 16:59:57 by al_lieffring »

w113dude

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 00:34:54 »
Al, you're the man good job.

wd

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 00:42:47 »
AL,
  Are the pins easily removed and replaced in the plastic?   

I did my coupe rheostat some years back.  I used 10 or 12 gauge tinned marine wire.  I did not solder it and wonder if that is going to be a corrosion problem down the road?  After taking the back off I cut a short piece of marine grade wire and while waiting for the soldering gun to heat up I tried fitting it into the holes in the head of the post that the wires solder to.  The fit was absolutely tight.  So I bent the little loop over and put the cover on and so far so good without any soldering.  May need to do this soon on the sl so wondering about the first question as to the pins removal and replacement?

al_lieffring

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 01:12:05 »
The pins are a loose fit in the plastic ,there are no barbs like weather-pac terminals, the rear cover holds them in place.

Corrosion shouldn't be a problem if the wires are soldered.

twistedtree

• Inactive
  • Gold
  • USA, MA, Gloucester
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 20:51:48 »
I just implemented this bypass at the connector plug as described.  It took about 30 minutes all told, including finding my soldering iron, etc.  Beats the heck out of removing the instruments (I couldn't even get the tach cable or mounting knob to turn).  Now I have dash lights!

Many, many thanks.
Peter Hayden
1964 MB 230SL
1970 MB 280SL
2011 BMW 550xi

al_lieffring

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 21:43:41 »
Glad to hear that one of my crazy ideas actually does work out in the "Real World" I have a tendency to think when I see something as obvious that means everyone else does too.

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 09:47:49 »
Now can someone add Al's excellent procedure to the Tech Manual ?

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

bpossel

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 10:17:28 »
Peter,

Done!

Bob  :)

Chrisheg

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 04:41:30 »
Another adventure in old car ownership :

I had the same problem with no instrument lights so I went in to see what the problem was. Turns out that the two rheostat wires had shorted to the point that they completely burned off their insulation through the entire cable bundle, fusing all of the other wires together with melted insulation and cable jacket. I managed to dissect the cable and repair the other wires, then cut out the two bare rheostat wires and jumpered the pins together. Now everything works except the center instrument cluster lights. I will have to pull out the instruments again to fix that. Should be easier the second time.  ::)

abe280SL

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 05:17:36 »
Ever stop to think that some german dude (dead or retired by now) back in the late 60s was working hard making those components and placing them in our car....and here we are undoing everything that man (or woman) did for us? ::)
Just a thought...since I really don't have much else to add. :'(
abe

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 15:49:04 »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

280sl1968

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 18:08:34 »
Does anyone know if any of the later VDO rheostats can be used as a replacement?

al_lieffring

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 20:24:15 »
no they are not the same, but most of the internal components are the same as the reostat in the 108 and 115 dash clusters. to get the reostat apart the brass rivets would have to be drilled out.

Till

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2010, 16:06:40 »
Hi Guys,
Every time I switch my headlights on, my fuse #7 pops! I have traced the problem to a shorted rheostat in the centre light console, i.e. there is a direct short circuit between the two pins 5 and 6 (and the two connected wires to them). I can only assume that the resistance coil inside the rheostat itself is somehow causing an internal short to its casing (which is of course grounded!)
In order to stop the fuse popping, I de-soldered the + wire inside the 12 pin plug underneath the dashboard, with the result that I can switch my headlights on but the dashboard lights are off!
I could take out the centre console, de-solder the three wires off the rheostat itself and solder them together, thereby isolating the rheostat completely.
I would rather replace the rheostat with another, either with an original or possibly a modern version.
Does anybody maybe have a few spare old rheostats or possibly know of a modern replacement?
Regards Till

al_lieffring

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2010, 21:04:00 »
Usually a short in the dash pannel lights is caused when U shaped brackets that hold the speedo and-or tach are improperly installed and touching a hot contact on one of the 4 light bulb sockets. Or if you are not finding any thing there, unplug the clock and the lights in the heater levers. and finally the two illumination bulbs in the center instrument cluster.
When the reostat fails the dash light circuit goes open, it is very unlikely that it is shorting to ground, the reostat housing is a soild block of ceramic, almost no metal to contact ground anywhere.
There are some wires crossed somewhere else in your dash light circuit, but the reostat jumper was done to remedy a different problem. I can not recall a time that the 113 reostat was ever sold as a seperate part, maybe it was 30 years ago or more.
Some time soon I plan on writing up a procedure to repair the pagoda reostat by using components from the (fairly common) 108 or 114 sedan dash cluster's reostat.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 22:24:26 by al_lieffring »