Author Topic: Plug gap and 123ignition  (Read 3484 times)

Michael C

Plug gap and 123ignition
« on: February 23, 2010, 00:06:47 »
I already did a search, and couldn't find an answer so I thought I would ask.  I have a 70 280SL with a 061/2 distributor and a pertronix.  Per the Pertronix spec I opened the plug gap by .05 (it ran quite nicely).  I'm about to replace this distributor with a 123ignition unit.  Should I re-gap the spark plugs to factory spec? .35  or keep the gap wider as with the Pertronix unit.  (I'm running NGK BP6ES plugs).

What are you folks with the 123 running for plug gap?

Michael

bpossel

Re: Plug gap and 123ignition
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 10:38:55 »
Hello Michael,

I have the 1-2-3 installed and am also using NGK BP6ES, gap set at .035

Let us know how it runs once your new 1-2-3 is installed.

Regards,
Bob  :)

Michael C

Re: Plug gap and 123ignition
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 18:36:33 »
Holy cow!  I installed the new 123ignition last night.  One word.... Awesome.  Originally, I had a crane system on it.  It worked well for some time but became an issue as too much play in the dist. shaft caused the wire to start to frey from rubbing on the wheel.  I then installed a Pertronix unit that I had in my cabinet, it worked very well while I was waiting for my 123 unit to show up.  It was pretty darn easy to install.  (Kept all my emissions stuff connected) The car runs solid and smooth.

If anyone is even thinking of getting one, bite the bullet, spend the few extra bucks.  Believe me, it's worth it.

Note*  I have no affiliation with these folks, I just can't say enough about how pleased I am with it.

Thinking about getting another one for another car of mine.

Oh, by the way, I sent out my old 061 to Dan up in Canada to rebuild.  He did a great job, at a good price, and was a pleasure to do business with.  I would also recommend him highly.

Thanks

Michael

03 203
91 129
70 113
70 108 Limo
70 108 (SEL)

Michael