Author Topic: Olympic Musings...  (Read 20970 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Olympic Musings...
« on: February 21, 2010, 23:05:02 »
Some Olympic thoughts...

Aside from some foibles (probably not more than many other places, but we hear more about it), "Way to go, Canada!"

Root for your "home team", but please--Canada needs to win gold in hockey.  Interviews with OTHER Canadian athletes--some medal winners--have yielded the following pecking order: Hockey, and then all other sports.  All the athletes from Canada want to be on the hockey team.

Have you seen the "simulcam"?  They must have digitally controlled cameras that take the same shots all the time--they can superimpose the alpine skiers, for example, over one another to show you how they compare.  Awesome.

Speaking of cameras, they had a "helmet-cam" on a snowboard-cross competitor.  Another cool view!

The scenery in BC makes me want to go there.

I have no cable or satellite, so I'm watching over the air in high def 1080p digital glory from NBC.  It's spectacular.  Say what you want about tape delays and what have you, but they are doing a great job.

The Ralph Lauren "Moose Knit Cap" worn by the USA team at opening ceremonies is unavailable anywhere--except eBay, that is, where at last look it was selling for USD $425.00

A moment of silence for the Georgian team, and the loss of the Luge competitor.

Nice to see the Dutch still have it in Speed Skating; and Nordic Skiing still dominated by, well, the Finns, Norwegians and Swedes.  Very happy to see strong competition all around, with a few surprises here and there...

No Jamaican Bobsled team this year!  Gone are the likes of "Eddie the Eagle" too.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 23:07:13 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
Re: Olympic Musings...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 16:45:41 »
Winning gold at home has been a goal for my country ever since the winter games started. We have four now which is nice.  I think women's hocky, curling and the ice dancers stand a fairly good chance of winning gold if not a medal.

I had an American friend tell me he learned more about Canada over the past week than he ever knew before. I suppose there's very little news coverage about Canada outside of border States or citys. He had no idea we have been fighting in Afganistan for several years or that we've lost about 150 over there. I went to the funeral of one of the first to die during heavy fighting right aftrer my operation in 2006 - I still had all the staples in my chest. I drive by his grave almost every day on my way to Port Lambton. He was only 21.

The mood is festive in BC. I've heard '' Oh Canada '' more times in the past week than I might hear in a whole year or more. Canadians are normally ' guietly patriotic ' but you could never tell from the coverage on TV. Even if we don't win, I think everyone feels that our guys and gals did their best and the country is behind them. If someone else wins, there's a level of respect for that perfection which is shared by everyone.

We love to have visitors to Canada and there's lttle else that brings so many all at one time, to one place, for one purpose. We celabrate with all the winners and mourn for those who gave everything for the chance to compete at this level, including life it'self.

I love my country. The mountains in the west, artic wilderness, native culture, french culture, music, arts, the vast plains and miles upon miles of wheat fields waving in the summer breeze; the great lakes, a tolerant multicutural society, national health care and a safe place to live. Yes, and I suppose hockey, that truely iconic Canadain sport ( I don't watch it ) which may hold the same pasion as soccer does everwhere else across the globe.

There's no other place I'd rather live, except maybe down south this time of year. 8) 

1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

jeffc280sl

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 22:54:03 »
Dan,

Nicely put.  There really isn't much canadian news reported in the states.  The news these days is all about what maintains viewers or readers with a dash of political bias.  Everyday we are reminded of our cost of the war and left to believe we are carrying the burden almost exclusively by ourselves.  This is generally what our editors want us to believe because it supports their long held view of the war, that we ought to get out.  To report other countrys are participating and sacrificing their young soldiers sends a message that it is a worthwhile and noble endevor.

I have visited Canada many, many times and think that it is a great and beautiful country.  Canadians have a right and good cause to be proud of their country.

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 00:31:46 »
I believe that we are there as a UN peace keeping force. Aside from the odd combat mission we have been building bridges and other badly needed infastructure.

What kind of bugs me sometimes is that the poppy fields are still there. Everyone wants to keep the locals on their side while the war lords make money from the opium trade. It's a strange, twisted way to do things but maybe that's all there is right now. We could buy everything they produce and use it to help with pain around the world and possibly cut of a source of funding to the taliban but maybe it's more complicated than that. At any rate, these guys are not the least bit interested in what we want and they don't share any of our noble aspirations. We are little more than interlopers and nothing more.

At least for a while, we can enjoy some fun on the ice and snow. Since we have lots of it we don't mind sharing a little.....
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 12:51:58 »
Back on track here...

Canada's got another gold.  Not in Hockey though...
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 14:11:50 »
Yes, it would be nice to see Canada and the US in the mens hockey final.  They just need to get past the Germans and the Russians.  No easy feat at any time.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

w113dude

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 14:16:33 »
Canada's got another gold.  Not in Hockey though...

Don't count your chickens too soon :)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 20:03:17 »
Well, you know--

Everything changed in Olympic hockey once they let NHL players in.

Prior to that it was the Russian Army, and everyone else, who were strictly amateurs.

The US Olympic hockey team are comprised of mostly second tier NHL players, who are just playing together incredibly well.  All the first tier are Swedes, Canadians, Russians, etc. in the NHL.  "Our" Detroit Red Wings here have 1/14 forwards were born in the USA; 2/8 Defense, and 1/2 goaltenders.  Do the math.  That's only 4 players on a roster of 24.  Pathetic.  Here in Michigan hockey is pretty popular, but not throughout the USA in general.  In Canada, [barring that farm that Dan Caron lives on], Hockey is Life Itself.  For that reason alone, I'd like to see Canada with a Hockey gold medal on their own ice.  That's for the men.  The sad thing about women's hockey is I have not seen any coverage!

Aside from that competition has become pretty good all around--ever since those famous words "We're waiting for the score from the Russian judge" went away with the USSR in 1989. ;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 20:07:55 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 23:14:43 »
...and hearty congratulations to TEAM CANADA for winning gold in HOCKEY.

In case anyone cares, General Manager Steve Yzerman is a Michigan resident (Grosse Pointe) and is a legendary former forward of the Detroit Red Wings.  Mike Babcock, the coach of Team Canada, is also coach of the Detroit (say it like a Canadian: de-TROY-it) Red Wings and happens to live nearby.  The hero of the game, Sid the Kid Crosby, plays on the Pittsburgh Penquins...nothing like going home to win one where it matters most.

Really, it was a great game for those who cared or watched--and what a way to end the Olympics...Gold Medal in Hockey!
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 03:26:06 »
Yes, it was a great game and if I had to pick yesterday who would be the star I would have picked Crosby.  Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.  That is something he will take with him for the rest of his life.  I don't think the Olympic organizers could have come up with a better way to hold the gold medal game.  Absolutely amazing.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

w113dude

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 12:27:04 »
Go Canada  ;D What a game!

glenn

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 20:01:56 »
How's this for an Olympic sport:  The Pagoda Low Hurdle.   How fast can a senior, seasoned(over 50) shade tree mechanic 1. Jack up the car. 2. Slide under it 5 times round trip North to South.  Tighten an exhaust clamp on one of the trips.  3.Find the right wrench to tighten the clamp. 4. Slide under the car 5 times East to West round trip.  5. Tighten a fuel pump hose clamp on one of the trips.  6.   Find wrench. ..l 7. Lower car.  8. Return tools to correct place.   Do this in a typical British Columbia storm.

Please submit your estimated time. ..

Each decade of age gets a 30 minute edge in scoring.   Medicare release must be signed.

Dash808

• Silver
  • USA, HI, Kaneohe
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 08:50:24 »
The Olympics were great.   NBC's coverage was not. 
Chan Johnson
'67 250sl
Napoli Italian Euro

Bang Bang Booogie!

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 13:29:33 »
Was anybody's coverage great around the world?  How about our European members here?  What did you think of your coverage?  How and why was it good?

I have no interest in NBC, but even with all the commercials, they stand to lose a lot of money.  Just the "rights"--nothing else, just the privilege of broadcast cost them USD $820,000,000.00.  Remember, then you have to actually PAY for the hundreds of tons of equipment to get there, the thousands of miles of cables, hundreds of cameras, and satellite uplinks and portable control rooms, and hundreds of personnel to actually pull it off.  I don't want to think of what that cost.  They are a stockholder-owned corporation, not a charity.  I was the logistics director for a tiny, tiny project at the LA Olympics in 1984 and the costs my company incurred were staggering.

The Olympics ran for 16 days.  Prime time is 8-11, and their broadcasts ran 8-12, generally.  That's about 64 hours of primetime broadcast, perhaps a bit more when they ended late or started early for something.  What escapes the critics, however, is that they broadcast something like 835 hours of Olympics...hmmm...they just were not at home for the rest of these 700+ hours of programming.  There was a lot that people didn't see because the events were run while they were not at home.

Critics grouse because they were watching a tape of a gold medal event at 9:00PM when we knew the outcome.  But, if they had been home from work at 2:00PM they might have seen it live!  I saw most of USA-Finland hockey live.  Then, a few moments of highlights at primetime.

It would be nice if, say, the women's alpine event were run at 8:00PM primetime.  But 8:00PM where?  Hawaii?  New York?  Istanbul?  It would also be nice if the field and event were only 30 minutes long...but all these events take a very long time...longer than most anybody would stand for watching on TV.

Let's also be realistic.  Who is interested in watching Slovenia #3 going down the bobsled run?  (Yes, I know--the Slovenians) Or the 30th ranked Alpine skier from Ghana? (Yes, I know, a million Ghanians watching the 5 televisions there)  Would YOU keep youself glued to a TV watching 3 hours of the eventual tin, lead and zinc medal winners compete?  I don't think so.  No, we want to see the German teams; the USA teams on the Bob, and Ivica Kostalic from Croatia, USA's Bode Miller and Aksel Lund Svindal from Norway go down the Alpine runs.

I don't have cable or satellite TV, I rely on over the air.  What NBC COULD have done, at little cost, is what CBS did a few years ago--open MORE digital "sub-stations" and run some simultaneous programming.  We only had channel 4.1 here.  When CBS did March Madness a few years ago, they expanded their channel 62.1 here to 62.2, 62.3, 62.4, and 62.5 running a tremendous amount of basketball all simultaneouly.  So instead of just highlights all funneled through the one broadcast, they could have had full coverage of most events (they had the tapes) all broadcast simultaneously.  With digital OTA television, it's a simple task.  It would not have been live per se, but it all would have been there.

I've heard a lot of NBC criticism, but I've not heard any ways that anyone could somehow make it better besides the obvious--no commercials!  But hey, who paid for Shaun White's private half-pipe for training in Colorado?  Red Bull.  Who paid for Bode Miller and Lindsey Vonn's training?  Head Skis...

If anyone didn't like this coverage, you are sure to hate coverage of the London and Sochi Olympics coming up, since nearly nothing will be live here in the USA due to the vast time difference.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

RobMarks

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Australia, NSW, Sydney
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 13:55:33 »
The Pay TV crowds would have you think the Live Coverage is the best.  If it's a hockey game, that is probably true but for many other sports, it can be like watching grass grow and the cut down highlights version can be more exciting.

In Australia  we had live coveage on Foxtel paytv and one of the networks also packaged the highlights each evening.

I wouldn't worry or feel bad for how much NBC paid because by the time they shared footage with many other international networks and pay tv organisations, I'm  sure they covered a few costs

rob
RobMarks

1966 230SL
1983 380SL
1989 190E Sportline Lorensir
1990 190E Sportline
1995 E280
2003 SL500

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 13:23:36 »
The Pay TV crowds would have you think the Live Coverage is the best.  If it's a hockey game, that is probably true but for many other sports, it can be like watching grass grow and the cut down highlights version can be more exciting.

In Australia  we had live coveage on Foxtel paytv and one of the networks also packaged the highlights each evening.

I wouldn't worry or feel bad for how much NBC paid because by the time they shared footage with many other international networks and pay tv organisations, I'm  sure they covered a few costs

rob

Our local "live" hockey channel is CBC-9 in Windsor--that's CANADA across the river...even THEY did not carry some games live--I sat down one afternoon expecting to see some hockey which I knew was being played at that moment, and nothing.  WTF?  Didn't understand that one.

I don't feel sorry for NBC, but for those attempting to understand why there were so many commercials, looking at the finances help.  They lost $200-$250 million on the deal.  No sorrow, but no surprise either.

There's so much flak flying about this here, I'd like to see a competing network's plan to a) make money or at least break even, and b) keep everyone happy.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Witt

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 00:08:12 »
How's this for an Olympic sport:  The Pagoda Low Hurdle.   How fast can a senior, seasoned(over 50) shade tree mechanic 1. Jack up the car. 2. Slide under it 5 times round trip North to South.  Tighten an exhaust clamp on one of the trips.  3.Find the right wrench to tighten the clamp. 4. Slide under the car 5 times East to West round trip.  5. Tighten a fuel pump hose clamp on one of the trips.  6.   Find wrench. ..l 7. Lower car.  8. Return tools to correct place.   Do this in a typical British Columbia storm.

Please submit your estimated time. ..

Each decade of age gets a 30 minute edge in scoring.   Medicare release must be signed.

.........what typical British Columbia storm???????? :D

CHEERS !
WITT !

glenn

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 20:31:50 »
Witt, Never been to BC.  But, you must have storms. ..?  Hope to visit this year. Glenn

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 21:09:24 »
I watched all of the coverage on CTV which was nothing short of stellar. In some cases more than one even would be happening at the same time so we would flip from channel to channel to see what was happening.
From a Canadian perspective, the games were fantastic. We won more gold medals than ever before at the winter games at 14. We won our first gold on home soil which was a big event. Our ice dancers were the first to win gold in North America, the youngest ever to win gold ( she's 20 and he's 22 ) and the first couple to ever win gold on their first time out. Any one of these things is significant but to put them all together into one performance is unheard of until now. It wouldn't matter where you came from, you would be doing yourself and your country proud for such a phenominal achievment.

The figure skaters were also fantastic. Canada's Joannie Rochette won bronze only days after loosing mother to a heart attack. Only sheer will and determination pulls champions through such adversity. Korea's Uh - na Kim won a very deserving gold but what many may not know was that she was trained in Toronto by Brian Orser, maybe the best skater this country has ever produced. In a way, it was more a win for us but the performance was flawless, a true testament to her incredable skill and the training she recieved by one of the best there is.

The games brought Canada together like nothing else has done before. It was like Canada Day for two weeks straight. Kind of nice in the middle of winter since Canada Day is July 1st.
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 22:34:30 »
Our ice dancers were the first to win gold in North America, the youngest ever to win gold ( she's 20 and he's 22 ) and the first couple to ever win gold on their first time out. 1st.

Yep they sure did win.  Thank goodness they train here in Canton Michigan!

The games brought Canada together like nothing else has done before. It was like Canada Day for two weeks straight. Kind of nice in the middle of winter since Canada Day is July 1st.

Yes, and now that it's all over, reality sets in. There are just a few bills to pay... http://www.examiner.com/x-3926-Business-of-Sports-Examiner~y2010m2d10-The-Vancouver-Olympics-Owe-Canada-a-blueprint-for-major--financial-losses

Dang!  And you JUST finished paying off the Montreal Olympics!  ;)

No seriously, they were great fun for all, and I don't know how any of these events can ever break even, much less make money.  Except the L.A. Olympics of 1984, which made $200 Million by using existing venues.  ;)

Like you we were watching them all the time.  After the LAST winter Olympics, my then 7 year old daughter actually was pumped up to try Curling!  Her friend bowled her over with a stone.  She didn't like it much after that. :'(

Can't wait for the next one.  And I sure do want to visit BC again!
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Witt

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 00:44:24 »
.....not to rain on anyones parade, but now it can be told. I was and am very concerned about the cost of the Olympics. All the Canadian media is strangely silent about the real cost of the whole affair and for how much are we, the tax payer, on the hook for.
Call me old fashioned, but it is my belief that you don't borrow money for a luxury like the Olympics when  you can not afford it. Before the event I wrote to a leading Canadian news magazine and dared them to predict the costs and also state how much better that money could have been spent. Case in point: BC has the highest child poverty in the nation, our health care is in shambles and we have far to many people living on the streets.
It is a little known fact that some  opponents demonstrating peacefully before the games where arrested, beaten and put into jail without being charged.
Why did it fall on a US publication to open that subject ? Will the Canadian media follow ? I wont hold my breath, to many politicians and constraction companies lined their pockets.
Sorry for the negative spin, but there is a ugly side to the story and it should be revealed.

a not so cheerfull
WITT !

PS.   Thank you Mike for posting that article. It is hoped that New York will take some lessons from this.

al_lieffring

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 04:25:47 »
it is my personal opinion that hosting the Sarajevo Olympics completly devastated the Yugoslavian economy, and was directly responsible for the Balkan war a few years later.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 13:24:06 »
Witt,

I never assume that any event like an Olympics can actually make any money; whatever "payback" their might be would be in non-quantifiable terms such as national pride, future sports-related things, and things that will go on for a long time.  Such thoughts however noble, don't pay the bills however.  The L.A. Olympics was unique in that they used mostly existing venues--so construction costs were minimal.  The profits went on to fund a lot of youth related sports activity in the LA area, and continue to this day.  Most of the summer Olympics in recent memory (Athens is the exception in 2004) have turned a profit, but the finances of such ventures are extraordinarily complex, and I bet there are a lot of lawyers and accountants paid to ensure that things "look good".

I had read an article somewhere about the construction of the Olympic Village at Whistler.  It was supposed to be a revenue-neutral project--but the developer needed $$$ to finish the project, and turning it into a profitable condo venture now won't yield the returns expected because of depressed housing prices.  I'm sure that kind of thing happened all over.  Nobody predicted the devastation of the economy that happened when they took on ownership of the games in 2004.

Witt, sometimes it's Maclean's that lays bare an ugly side of the USA.  I'm sure Canadian press will eventually get all the finances of Vancouver properly reported.

Al Lieffring--excellent observation.  However they've never gotten along in the Balkans and probably never will...but it is very sad that most of Sarajevo was devastated and a lot of the Olympic venues--infrastructure and facilities that could be used by people--were destroyed.  It's a tragedy, and so is the whole area.

ALL THAT BEING SAID, we loved the competition here.  I wanted to go to the nearby rink/training center to welcome the Ice Dance winners (Canadian gold and USA Silver train together in Canton, MI) when they came "home" so to speak, but the rink made it a private party. :(
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 19:03:52 »
The ice dancers trianed in Canton MI, that was well reported.
The cost over runs were also reported but we don't have all the figures yet. It was reported that LA was the only one to make a profit. I didn't get a sense that anyone was hinding anything but I'm sure it will all come out in time.

There were some people who were protesting the Olympics before they opened, that's true. And some of them got arrested - that's also true. However, the ones smashing windows and making all the trouble are not believed to be part of the peaceful and lawful demonstrations. I saw all of that on TV and the guys smashing store front windows all had something overr their faces so they couldn't be identified. That's not what we expect from people who are law abiding.

There is a lot of poverty in BC but it's everywhere. Part of the homeless problem is that the climate is fairly warm through the winter so it attracts more people living on the streets. Then there's the drug problems and prostitution. Nothing is perfect. The press also reported on all of those things so it wasn't just a love fest. In fact the media went right into a place where you could sit down and smoke up. No cops, no hassle, no problem. The forghien press had a field day....

All in all, I thought it was fairly reported. We weren't there to fix social problems, we were there to celabrate winter sports. I don't ski, skate, or curl, but I still enjoyed the coverage and like most who saw more than just that one hockey game;  I thought our young guy and gals did a good job and presenterd our country with class and humility.

I always thought that the fall of the former Soviet Union sparked all the trouble in the Balkans. Before that they were kept apart but once the Russians were gone all the old scores had to be settled. It goes back a long ways. But this is a different subject, eh?
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 21:52:23 »
There is a lot of poverty in BC but it's everywhere. Part of the homeless problem is that the climate is fairly warm through the winter so it attracts more people living on the streets. Then there's the drug problems and prostitution. Nothing is perfect.

Boy, you have that one right...I used to take weekends in the cosmopolitan city of Toronto--usually in winter.  THEN once, we went in summer.  WHAT a change!  The number of street people was mind boggling--frightening, actually.

I agree with you--I think everything was fairly balanced in reporting.  We heard all the news, good and bad, and very little was slanted one way or another.  The predictions for a financial loss started last year--but nobody could predict the sad state of the world economy when they took on the project!

The Olympics were great and they did a good job of promoting BC and Canada in the process.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid