Author Topic: Motor Trend CLASSIC is back...  (Read 7805 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Motor Trend CLASSIC is back...
« on: February 17, 2010, 19:20:10 »
https://www.circsource.com/store/Subscribe.html?offerId=3896&sourceCode=I0BEY2

For about 18 months or so, back in 2007/8 Motor Trend published a separate magazine called Motor Trend Classic.  Some of our favorite MB vehicles were discussed in it.

Well, it's back...see the link.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Kayvan

Re: Motor Trend CLASSIC is back...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 20:35:33 »
Thanks !

I loved that mag and have the first issue.

I was sorry I disgarded others.

I will order it.

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 21:01:17 »
I subscribed to it as well, had it sent at extra cost all the way to Holland because I liked it so much - the photography was especially good. I will look for it here in Switzerland. Wonder what made them change their minds, so shortly after discontinuing it, which was only a short time after they started it! I did notice there were very few ads in the magazine so it must have cost them too much to start it up.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 22:44:22 »
Read between the lines--

I think it is a larger format, lower volume and MUCH higher cost...but I loved it.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Kayvan

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 02:46:04 »
My opinion...the market for magazines that focus on "Classics & Exotics" in USA is very small; most readers fall into the entrly level sports, Minivan review or hot/rod tuner area.

The one exception is Sports Car Market ....which is the Bible on Collectors Cars; the editor has no fear of "valuing" cars at market, and has been in many duels with dealers, lawyers,  auctions, sellers who have challenged him....his 30 yr reputation is stellar.

http://www.magazines.com/product/sports-car-market

I would also recommend OCTANE.....its very close to style of MT Classic.

The Brits have two mags that are hit & miss: CLassic & Sports Car; Thoroughbred & Classic Cars

.....they seem to focus on Saloons a lot....and seem to feature Jag MkII every month; and half magazine is 2 inch classified adverts

The Editors actually asked me for a crtique this holiday, as I sent in a Letter-to-Editor essay on buying my SL; and they wanted a a USA readers opinion.  I told them to follow Octane.

This is a good US magazine

http://www.magazines.com/product/hemmings-sports-exotic-car

The main USA markets....each magazine has shrunk 50% in ad pages in last 5yrs:  

-Motor Trend / Car Driver:  these are the Big three focus, and mini vans, econobox reviews

-Road Track / Automobile:  enthusiast focus, rarely focus on classics; often include SUVs, crossovers

-Hot Rod, Mopar, Muscle Cars, Mustang, etc: these are niche focused on one make usually and articles are usually half page.

-European Car, Tuner:  these used to be classics, but are mostly asian, tuner focused

-Cars/Girls:  Rides, Exotics, Low Riders
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 02:52:14 by Kayvan »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 14:19:32 »
Kayvan,

There is a UK/EU/USA magazine publishing dynamic going on that I don't entirely understand yet.

There are SCORES of high quality magazines published in UK (some EU) that simply have to be very low publishing volume, and they all make their way here.  Mercedes Enthusiast; Bimmer; Pianist; Photoshop Creative are all examples in diverse genres of UK publications.  In the case of Pianist and Photoshop Creative, they even include CD-ROMS with each issue that are packed with content--the CD-ROM itself is worth a multiple of the magazine price.

I don't believe any publisher in the USA would even consider such a publication due to low volumes.  These are not inexpensive.  Pianist is USD $55 for 6 issues; Photoshop Creative is USD $126 for 13 issues.  While certainly these magazines are worth every penny if you are a devotee of their subject matter and content, they are extremely expensive when compared to standard, run of the mill magazines published in the USA.  Low volume=high price.  Funny thing is, a number of magazine publishers in the USA are owned by Europeans...go figure!

Those aforementioned titles, plus those that you mention, are all available in the USA at Borders; Barnes & Noble, and other retailers, along with many others.

Motor Trend Classic was FABULOUS in its original incarnation, and I trust they knew what they were doing (editorially and photographically, not financially) and the new one will be even better.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 23:53:12 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid