Author Topic: Photographic Guide to Removing & Replacing the Soft Top  (Read 11999 times)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Photographic Guide to Removing & Replacing the Soft Top
« on: February 06, 2010, 13:24:32 »
I've commented to many members on many occasions on elements of soft top replacement. I replaced my top a few years ago, and documented the entire process with a view to writing an article for the Wiki. I haven't given up on that idea just yet, but a number of members have asked for the photos that I took. Having sent out a few memory sticks with the hundreds of photos, and being on the verge of sending another one, a fellow member suggested that I list the photos on an online photo hosting site. This I have now done as an interim measure to my Wiki article.

To view this site/album, click on the link below, which will take you straight to the PICTURES tab, then select the 'View Album' option which is in the middle of the page.

Link: http://w113softtopreplace.shutterfly.com/pictures

The 250+ photos are unsorted, but are in the correct order. So, they show pictorially:

- The roof as it was on my car, with measurements, where screws are etc.

- The correct order to remove the roof, the routing of the 2 wires, etc.

- They show the frame off the car, and my shots really for me, just showing the frame being cleaned up. The biggest pain is the removal of old glue, which takes an age even with a good solvent.

- There are a number of shots of the inside of the door, showing the window mechanism, because I was preparing the car for the new softtop by adjusting the windows to the hard top.

- There also appears to be a photo of a green woodpecker on my bird table.

- The remaining shots show the order of replacing the roof, and the detailed jobs involved, like making holes for the wires.

- What they don't show is what a colossal pain it can be stretching the roof on even with two people (forget trying to do this alone). The hardest part is getting the roof to sit properly on the back bow. We had to pull it off about 3 times before I was happy, but the end result is good enough.  

- It shows the other major bore which is getting rid of the gap in the elbows over the window. There is a photo in there of the shims that I removed from under my frame when I put the new roof on. There are also duplications of some of the photos.

Anyway, it's all there more or less. From one old roof on, removed, frame cleaned to new roof going on, finished.

It lacks a write up, but if anyone wants to do this and has questions about the photos, please do ask and refer to a photo and I'll see if I can remember what I did.

Please note that the slide show may run slowly because the photos are pretty high res so they can be downloaded and blown up for detail. (That was my idea, anyway).

Finally, I'd offer that this is a perfectly do-able DIY job if frustrating at times. I'd never done it before, but I had a friend to help, and a good period of free time over Christmas in 2007. Doing it ones' self, like so many other things on these cars, will often produce a better result than most commercial enterprises, although the big penalty is the time it takes to get it right, trial/error, cut hands, etc. My top fits very well and better than some I've seen professionally fitted. The downside is that the window gap still isn't right, and I suspect the frame has a bend in it somewhere given the difficulty in getting the damn thing into the box.  

Tschuss!

James
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 13:35:39 by jameshoward »
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

IXLR8

Re: Photographic Guide to Removing & Replacing the Soft Top
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 16:10:58 »

OUTSTANDING!!

Thanks, James

Bernd

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 14:13:54 »
Thank you James.. Just like what a do-it-yourselfer like me needs to get my hands dirty and myself in trouble with another great project on my car!!!  I will most definitely look at everyone of your pictures to guide me through my top when the time comes! I do need to know however how to get one of those special woodpecker tools. Does it have an MB part number!?

Bernd
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 14:16:37 by Bernd »

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 14:54:33 »
Excellent stuff. You know, the difficult thing will be to produce the write-up and to select the (say) 10 or 12 photo's that together produce the great wiki article! You know, write it as a Pagoda World article and then we'll put it up on the Wiki.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 17:47:32 »
Sadly, Bernd, the woodpecker is NLA.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 21:39:56 »
Nice work James. As someone who recently farmed out this task, I feel better about the labor costs. It takes a lot of effort for sure. One thing my installer said still resonates in my head ... when I went to pick it up, he quipped "it will never look as good as it does right now..." I started fretting that he meant it was going to fall to pieces next time I pulled it out of the case... He basically must have meant that it will soon have a few wrinkles here and there and the window will never be quite so clear. He was right. 2 years later it still looks very good -- but not quite "as good" as that day...
James
63 230SL

VincentR

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 19:35:42 »
Hi James, Hi All,

Thank you for all these pictures.
I have one question for you James.
At the top of each door glass, I have the same problem that you got : there is one elbow in the soft top frame.
When you decided to remove the plate at the fixing base of the frame, was the situation much better?
If I remember well, I've got 2 shims per side. Do you think that if I remove them, the elbow will decrease?

Thank you advance.
Best regards from France.
Vincent (Silver 280sl 1970 / Manual 4gears / Hydraulic steering / Alu wheels)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 22:29:15 »
Hi Vincent,

I found that I had to play around a lot with the position of the soft top frame before it got better. I removed all the shims; I tried the top forward, and back. I found that through trial and error I reduced the gap. I ran out of patience at the end. It's a lot better than in the photos, but it could probably still be better. In addition to the shims, you could also use a thick steel washer on the front or rear securing bolt to generate an angle/tilt in the soft top frame; this also has an effect.

I have no definite answer as I imagine all the tops are different. I'm convinced mine is not fully aligned given how poorly it fits into the box. My suggestion would be to keep trying all the options. It's a bore, but you will soon see what works.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

VincentR

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 13:09:32 »
Hi James,

Thank you very much for these explanations. I will keep you informed.
One more question : what are the security bolts (front and rear) you are talking about (where are they exactly located?)? ???

Best regards. ;)
Vincent R.

Bernd

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 14:58:33 »
8AM on a very cold Colorado morning and the old top is stripped off the frame. Took tons of pics as well and wrote detailed notes about the sequence. Also took measurements of screws, the old straps for screw hole locations, etc, since they are still in great shape. I will try to complement James's pictorial if I can. It wasn't really too bad a job. The rest of the morning I will spend cleaning up the old glue residue.
Will keep everyone updated. 

One quick question though. The first (front)  black bar is riveted to the support straps. Before I go about drilling out the rivets, where would I get the 2 piece rivets? Would like to avoid using a bolt with nut there. Any suggestions?

Bernd

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 15:22:14 »
I just used normal rivets and put them in with a rivet gun. Worked fine for me.

JH
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Bernd

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 17:08:15 »
Thanks James

I have cleaned up all the glue from the frame. It didn't really take that long. I decided to try a little different route than just Lacquer thinner. Decided to go with a Stripper in a gel formula and lots of paper towels and the glue came off like butter. The whole process took about 2 hours, which isn't really that bad considering my frame looks like new again.
So far the process:
    20 minutes for soft top removal
    120 minutes for removal of the fabric, including pictures and labelling
    120 minutes for frame cleanup.
Of note, I see kerfs filed into the crossbars at center which surely are meant to aid in the softtop installation process. I will think about that a bit. I doubt they are machining kerfs needed during the manufacture of the pieces.

Will put together a list and order of disassembly, and I will try to put together a list of wear and tear parts P/N's that most likely will need replacing for anyone wanting to do this.

Since I don't have the new top yet, it will take me a while before I get to the next step

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 20:34:00 »
I looked at your slide show and slide 160 shows a rubber bumper that was in the same worn condition as mine.  Did you find an exact replacement for the part?  I had the top replaced in September and that was the only part I did not find.  The classic center sent a 107 part that did not fit.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

Bernd

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 20:53:19 »
The two rubber pads you are talking about are the two in the pic, correct? There is definitely a left and a right (mirror images)
I saw them on the SLS website, and they were, are you sitting down, around 30 Euros.  (items 272285 and ...86)
I am lucky because mine are in good shape, so I can reuse them. If there is anyone that can reproduce them, I would be willing to give mine as samples as they are not dry rotted yet. I suspect there are tons that look bad and would get replaced if the price is right.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 21:08:21 by Bernd »

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 22:44:59 »
I didn't replace the rubber parts because they didn't touch the chrome on my car, therefore no point in replacing them.

As I've said before, my soft top isn't the best fitting; clearly the rubber parts are supposed to touch, but at 30 euros a piece, I can live without them.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 22:59:06 »
I think I'll leave them alone at that price.  Mine are still usable but not perfect.  the soft top turned out really nice.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 23:16:16 »
It looks fantastic.
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 00:37:57 »
I used a GAHH top.  As you can see I post a lot of pictures.  the frame came from a parts car.  My car had hard top only number 5 on the data plate.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic